The Forest - Survival horror in a forest filled with the monsters from The Descent

http://survivetheforest.com/2014/03/trailer-3/

Single player, using Unity 4.

Looks like Miasmata on steroids. I’m in.

Coming to Oculus Rift. If you like heart attacks.

Looks like fun. I hope there’s down time between monsters running at you, though. I want to explore that world.

I think there’s a mode that will allow you to just explore.

Will there be a peaceful mode?

Yes. You will be able to play the game as a more traditional survival/exploration simulator, with the horror elements effectively disabled.

Nah, I don’t want a peaceful mode. Just a pause between swarms of monsters now and then. I’m assuming that there’s a lot they aren’t showing in the trailer so I’m not worried about it.

What are the chances we can play this on a consumer-grade Oculus Rift later this year?

I look forward to the subsequent nightmares :)

Early access on May 30th

It seems they released the first alpha already. The first comments are positive, from what I read.

https://twitter.com/benfalcone1/with_replies

Saving is broken, but they’re working on that. Other than that, there are balance issues like players sometimes getting killed immediately after spawning.

Really good looking game, but it’s early access rough. The balance is all out of whack. Cannibals take forever to kill with the weapons available near the beginning, and some of them can one-hit kill the player.

I like the idea of using a survival manual to store crafting recipes for some of the stuff. For example, if you choose a campfire out of the manual, you get the outline of a campfire that you can then place on the ground. Putting the correct materials into the ghosted outline builds it into the completed campfire. The “crafting mat” interface for weapons and food is a little goofy. I’m not sure it’s all that successful.

The atmosphere is really the best thing about the game. The environment is good looking. The forest is foreboding and creepy. The way the cannibals climb trees and jump from trunk to trunk is unsettling. Keeping an eye on them means swiveling as they jump back and forth through the trees. Nighttime is scary.

Hopefully, the devs can build from this and turn it into something good.

The fact that this is only $15 makes it very tempting.

I would advise you to wait. I like early access stuff because I’m fond of seeing “how the sausage is made” so to speak, but if you want an actual game, this isn’t the purchase for you. It’s wildly unbalanced. I know survival games need to be harsh, but currently you have almost no chance of seeing anything beyond the first two hours. It’s rare to see anyone make it past the first night in the lean-to shelter.

It ran really sluggish on my machine though, but yeah, looks nice. I’m waiting a bit for some more patches I think.

Also, keep in mind that this is solo only, so the goofball antics and weird fun that people get out of unfinished games like DayZ and Rust are not possible here. It’s just you, an axe, and a bag of rocks against cannibals that flit for the treetops, and take 20 hits to kill.

The bold part sucks but I really liked the survival and the atomosphere. The cannibals that kill you with one hit…did you have full health at the time? You start severely injured and may not find healing items near the crash site so the first hit will be your last until you do a little searching. Then you wake up in a cave which I haven’t found the way out of yet. Only played a hour and a half over the weekend, though.

It doesn’t run great yet. I had to turn down a bunch of options to get it working on my slightly aging machine. Also, people with ATI cards seem to be having a lot of trouble like they always seem to have :(

No, this was after the cave. The cannibals can hit you with a wind-up attack that just downs you and you’re done. The devs have acknowledged that it’s not a desired attack so early in the game.

That’s probably why I didn’t get out of the cave…

God, I am so tempted to spring for this, but I think I’m going to take Telefrog’s advice and wait it out.

It’s an interesting project. On one hand I really want to play it, because it speaks to the horror enthusiast in me. On the other hand, I’m afraid it will turn into another one of those aimless, boring, brown flavor-of-the-month survival simulators that are stacking up in the Steam store. Hope the developers have a clear enough vision to turn it into something interesting.

New patch: Steam :: The Forest :: Patch 0.04

New A.I. behaviour, mutants will sometimes go home to sleep during day along with other new routines.
Distorted mutants can now be killed with regular weapons.
Distorted mutants more aggressive and deadly in combat and have expanded actions.
Better ambient lighting. Trees and large objects diffusely occlude skylight. (experimental)
Pause menu now actually pauses game.
Enemies use rocks more often to jump attack at player.
New female enemy type added.
Better distribution of enemies throughout the world.
Constructed bench now works and players can sit to regain energy or watch sunset.
Increased axe damage against enemies.
More variation to female cannibal models, added procedural breasts size system.
Improved Rabbit/Lizard distribution and optimized CPU usage.
Improved sky and sun look.
Improved dead cave lighting and cave 2 lighting.
Better cave textures and rock look.
Dead cave prop fixes, fixed some incorrect rock placements.
Improved load times and added loading percentage amount.
Re-balanced hunger drain.
Better cave ground with flowing water and more detailed textures.
Enemies will now push small items out of the way instead of getting stuck on them.
Dead sharks now ragdoll.

Whew! Thank goodness!