The Forest - Survival horror in a forest filled with the monsters from The Descent

I played it a bit a few months ago but grew a little frustrated with some of the food production stuff. Also I disabled the monster stuff because it freaked me out. I plan to revisit again in a few months.

All I know is I think I peed myself a little bit the first time I stumbled into a cannibal in the woods. I find it like a more survival version of Minecraft.

I’ve not produced any food, I’m just living off turtles and seagulls for the time being. The drying rack and water collectors help with things.

The Forest was my only acquisition during the summer sale and played it pretty consistently for about two weeks.

Push inland and build yourself a small fort to hold water collection shells, storage locations, a drying rack, a fireplace, and a save point. Grinding for trees is pretty ugly, so make sure to build a log sled (tip: you can still ‘run’ while pushing the sled. I had no idea and spent what felt like hours walking the sled at a snail’s pace). The walls will help prevent the cannibals from destroying your stuff while you’re away.

I never bothered with food production as I just kill critters and dry their meat. It lasts long enough that you don’t need to be constantly gathering.

Once you have a base developed, you can start spelunking to explore and gain items. I don’t want to say much more for fear of giving something away. But feel free to ask specific questions!

Great tips, meeper, thanks man.

I looked at the details for making a bow and arrows, but I don’t seem to be getting any feathers from the seagulls.

Other than that, the only spoilery things I know are that at least one cave has a katana, and that the end game requires fighting and resources, so preparation is key.

This game doesn’t - seem - to be long in length, but then again, I haven’t started building very much just yet.

The length of the game came as a bit of a surprise to me. I was expecting something similar to 7 Days To Die or Space Engineers in terms of longevity and then somewhat unexpectedly (almost accidentally) finished The Forest.

Seagulls do ‘drop’ feathers, but they don’t land on the ground. No, they float into the air and fly away, forcing you to chase after them and precisely target and collect them. I think birds spawn 3 feathers, but I’ve never managed to collect more than 2 per and most of the time only 1. Once you notice them you’ll be surprised that you didn’t see them sooner. I know I was!

Coming to PS4.

Finally. Maybe.

Leaving early access on April 30th.

Does this game have a single-player story? I’m looking for another survive/explore/build game after playing Subnautica.

It does, but it’s nowhere near the quality of Subnautica’s. That said, it’s an enjoyable, if short, game.

I’ll likely play it once it leaves early access. And yeah, I’m not expecting it to be nearly as good as Subnautica. That game set the bar pretty high.

And its finally 1.0

Uh, that trailer was spoilery.

4 years after I backed it it is out…but they want to keep developing further…so I will wait until they abandon it completely. Plus I might just wait for VR version anyway (as in for me buying VR headset).

Don’t - this was super awesome already 2 years ago :)

Well, any opinions of the final version?

Yep - fantastic!

It’s very good. It doesn’t hold your hand. Makes you figure stuff out. Very decent crafting and building. Combat is probably the worst part, but that might just be me.

Big patch next week!

Whoa, that looks cool