The frop bog and pond - now it's spring 2023!

Not really? I felt compelled to support Rich, as I would with many people here.

Where’s the like button? ;)

That’s a great question. The software is supposed to encourage empathy for others.

Welcome back buddy, good to see you.

7o59by

Hi!!!

And they’re living well :)

OMG. Woke up to this recording from my newly installed backyard ring camera:

That’s only half of them. There were bigger ones later on fishing in the nursery.

That looks like it might be young ones. Unfortunately, that likely means momma racoon is going to be teaching them about fishing in your frop bog. You really need some sort of automated raccoon squirt gun to chase them off.

I’m going to be super busy til the electric fence goes up. I’m so happy I got my fish to be totally tame to eat out of my hand, but now it has becomes their greatest weakness. You can see some of the fish swimming right in front of the raccoon instead of diving deep for safety.

Red Alert. Raise Shields. Install Tower Defenses!

Good luck on countering the invasion. On my much more modest pond, a single shooter like this is working well. You could start with one but maybe move it around every day or so.

And maybe we’d get filmed hilarity!

You need to post a sign that says No Racoons.

You mean “No, Raccoons”.

Lololol. That’s about right.

The frogs say hi!

OK, actually they just kinda sat on their lily pads. But I’m sure they were thinking greetings, or at the very least “who are these disturbingly awkward primates?”

Said awkward primates included myself, @jpinard, and @abrandt - setting up anti-raccoon technology! The green fenceposts on the green grass aren’t the most visible, and the fence wire is also pretty hard to see, but you can find it if you squint just right. We went around the fish pond, covering all of it but the waterfall, which (so far) the raccoons haven’t explored.

It’s not a high-voltage installation, but you get a pretty sharp shock! At first we thought it wasn’t working, as Jeff and I both tried touching the top wire, but then we realized that we were wearing rubber-soled shoes. Spread out your hand with one finger on the ground and touch a wire with the other, and you can definitely feel it! So as long as the raccoons haven’t started shopping for sneakers, they should be surprised when they try to reach the pond. We’ll see what happens on tonight’s video!

Well I’m glad you had the foresight to take pictures of the actual fence! I only walked away with frop and fish pictures.

If I may be so bold to say, you guys are frakkin’ awesome.

Seconded. Three times. :)

I don’t see proper warning signage !

Jurassic-Park-Danger-10-000-Volts-Fence-Sign-Replica-2

It did actually come with warning signs you can put up but we wanted to make sure the raccoons were really shocked by their first interaction so decided against hanging advanced notice.