The Future Of Digital Distribution Thread (or, how are we going to get paid)

I have tried about 50 versions of this post where I don’t call you a fucking idiot, but I fail on each attempt.

shrugs Thanks for attempting at least. It’s a matter of cultural perspective I guess. If you’re the one making the games, of course you’re not going to distrust yourself.

Edit: I’m not saying there isn’t virus filled pirated crap on the internet. As long as you aren’t googling “warez” in an effort to find pirated games, you don’t have much to worry about.

Just for curiousity, can you name some? I don’t think I have ever seen one that has been anything more than “rename old .exe and copy over new one”. Unless you are talking about the image files that need to be mounted in Daemon Tools, but that again is like two files and a mount. Even those usually have a fixed .exe that supercedes the image.

Yes, I MAKE EVERY GAME I BUY!!!

Devs are filling their software with viruses? Care to link to some of this action, because I know devs are just trying to get money for their games, not the precious, precious street cred the pirates are going for. So I understand, that if the devs were going for street cred, things would be wacky different, but I guess I have missed the articles pointing out all the viruses the devs are putting in their games on purpose. So please, help me out, link away…

THANKS!

Chet

That’s not quite what I said, but if you must have an example. How about all those games that include advertising? Or how about google holding on to search information indefinately (which they just recently claimed to have cut down to two years)? Or how about constantly trying to undermine the property rights of consumers with EULA agreements?

No, you don’t make every game you buy but that doesn’t mean you don’t share the economic benefit from trampling the rights of consumers. Once the economic benefit becomes large enough to you (and the industry), you’ll trade that for your rights as a consumer because your consumer rights aren’t giving you 50 cents an impression.

Edit: Listen. I’m not saying people should pirate games. It’s theft. What I am saying is the culture that motivates warez release groups is a culture I trust more than the culture that runs business.

The day I have to be logged onto the Internet for singleplayer is the day I get a new hobby, so I hope you software developers can pick up at least one pirate to replace me as a customer.

I have a feeling that I’m not the only customer you would drive away in a futile effort to force the pirates to buy your product.

What? Google is a game now? I mean, I know I am running a cracked version of google right now, but come on… the yahoo hack just keeps crashing on me otherwise I would be running that…

But I disgress into your madness. We all know the truth. If a warez group earns enough street cred, they can afford to development the next thing you want to steal… that is some serious madness you bite off to justify your behavior.

Chet

Chet, I think he wants to mean that there is lower tolerance for malware in the piracy community than there is in the business community. Where as “not working/having a virus” is a bad thing in a crack, the things he described are bad things in software. Obviously what qualifies a bad crack and what qualifies bad software are different.

Trojans being in cracks are an issue with the website, it’s really not time effective to crack a game before you distribute your trojan.

What logged on? With the proliferation of broadband, who logs onto the net anymore?

Every single person who decried the existence of a benevolent God over the NWN 2 auto-patcher.

Would it make you feel better if I took a picture of all of my software? I’ll even put in a little sign saying, “Hi Chet!” Just because I advocate consumer rights does not mean I’m a pirating scumbag that doesn’t support the industry.

But let me reiterate:

Way to sidestep advertising and EULA concerns though! Good Job!

I know that FEAR was one of them. (I grabbed that one to see if performance was any better than what was in the demo, as the demo was unplayable on my machine at the time). I couldn’t get it to run. Found a million posts talking about how you needed some program to hide the virtual drive yadda yadda. Never worked.

Can’t remember the rest though. Probably because since I never got to play them, I very quickly forgot about them completely. No play, no sale!

I also sidestepped being hit in the head with a baseball bat, didn’t realize it was part of the argument. But here you go… I trust devs more to not hit me in the head with a baseball bat than I do warez groups.

For the last bit, did you know you don’t have to buy products you don’t want to buy? Just sayin’. I have a hard time following your “logic” past that.

As for trust… you trust a culture that profits by adding nothing to society but removing the motivation of another group to create? okay. here is something that will blow your mind. If there was no piracy, no pirate groups, no guys trying for the illustrious street cred - there would be no copy protection systems in place. You are blaming the doctor for chemotherapy while praising the cancer. It just doesn’t make sense.

chet

I like these reactions, because it makes people look like luddites. When was the last time you didn’t have a 24 hour always on internet connection?

Also: Didn’t play HL2 near launch, huh?

Wow, who’s talking crazy now?

For the last bit, did you know you don’t have to buy products you don’t want to buy? Just sayin’. I have a hard time following your “logic” past that.

The consumer’s voice and power should not begin and end at his or her wallet. That’s entirely unfair to them, that’s why we have things like laws, private and government watchdog groups. Unfortunately, they get bought off pretty easily.

As for trust… you trust a culture that profits by adding nothing to society but removing the motivation of another group to create? okay. here is something that will blow your mind. If there was no piracy, no pirate groups, no guys trying for the illustrious street cred - there would be no copy protection systems in place. You are blaming the doctor for chemotherapy while praising the cancer. It just doesn’t make sense.

You’re telling me EULAs and in-game advertising wouldn’t exist except for piracy? That I don’t believe. Edit: What does the game’s business give to society if that value can’t be transfered? I have nothing tangible to work with in the economy at that point, and thus I’m basically paying for nothing.

Look, at some point the game’s business just eats theft, just like every other business and that cost gets passed on to consumers. I’d rather retain my property rights and pay more at the register than have them taken away from me. See Itune’s DRM-less initiative as an example.

Um… the game you played?

No, with licensed software I am buying an experience, which is worthless unless I can use that experience to make more money than what I paid. Now if you say the experience has value because it lets me relax or let off steam, or enjoy myself, or it rejuvenates my mind so I can go out and make more money the next day… well then the game’s business is in the business of religion at that point, which I trust even less than regular business.

You’re just taking cheap shots without addressing my points. I don’t think we’re going to get anywhere with each other. :(

Good day and thanks for the heated debate.

Experience is worthless unless you make more money than what it cost for the experience?

Now who’s talking crazy!

So, when most people recieve a youtube link of a Conan O’brien sketch from the previous night, they throw up their nose in disgust and refuse to watch it because that’s stealing?

Are you not running with an always on connection these days anyway? I don’t “log in” to the internet any longer, and I’d suspect the number of folks who do is shrinking reasonably quickly.

And I’m not a pirate but I’m 100% for having to “log in” to play single player games, because I’d find that a truckload less annoying than having to dig out the proper key discs and insert them.