The Game Awards 2022

Live today/tonight.

7:30P ET / 4:30P PT / 12:30A GMT

YT Stream: https://youtu.be/vl9yakt_5tc

If you want a chance at a free Steam Deck being given away by Valve during every minute of the show, you need to register and watch here.

Game of the Year nominees:

Stray
Annapurna Interactive, BlueTwelve Studio

Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Nintendo, Monolith Soft

A Plague Tale: Requiem
Focus Entertainment, Asobo Studio

Elden Ring
BNE Entertainment, FromSoftware Inc.

Horizon Forbidden West
Sony Interactive Entertainment, Guerrilla Games

God of War Ragnarok
Sony Interactive Entertainment, Santa Monica Studio

Wow that’s wicked cool that they’re giving that many away.

Why yes, I have registered, thankyouverymuch.

You have to watch? That’s a non-starter for me. I have plans tonight.

How long can the show be? 3 hours? That’s only 180 minutes. Shrug. I don’t think that’s very many, but I don’t normally participate in giveaways because of the super-low odds. The odds here are similarly super-low. But I registered.

Woah. It’s that good? I need to get back to it.

I’m assuming you can just log in and leave it running like any of the Twitch giveaways.

Well sure, but I mean that’s quite a few for a ~$400 device that was hard to get your hands on at all not all that long ago.

Sure, super low odds, but what’s the harm?

No harm. It’s quite clever, actually. I tip my hat to them. I’ve seen giveaways like “500 Series X consoles”, or “1000 free laptops”. But “giving away one every minute of the Game Awards” sounds like more than both of those first two phrases, even though it’s less.

I don’t care about the popularity contest. The giveaway doesn’t start until 8PM EST.

Starting with the beginning of the official show at 5pm PST, we’ll be randomly drawing a name each minute

It was that hyped, anyway.

~$400 device

Even better, they’re giving away the $650 variant! A bit disappointed the true GOTY (Vampire Survivors) only got one nomination under Best Debut Indie.

Great. They’ve shortened it from 180 Steam Decks to only 150 Steam Decks.

No, it’s not that good.

Looks like a truly suspense-less Game of the Year category.

Pre-congratulations to Elden Ring!

Woah. A guaranteed free game that I don’t own, versus a very small chance I might get a Steam Deck? I think I’ll probably watch on Twitch instead!

Or at least, pretend to watch on Twitch. I hate their interface. I’ll probably actually watch it on Youtube.

Open each in a tab…

Well, Twitch in one tab, Youtube in another. And of course the Steam version in Steam, since I can never remember my Steam password. Too complex, but it does mean I can never login to Steam in a browser unless I want to go through the whole reset password rigmarole.

My friends who never talk about Steam are linking the Deck giveaway. Good luck.

The cynic in me thinks they’ll give it to GoW so they can get the voice actors back on stage like when the first GoW won in 2018. It would make a better show than Elden Ring winning.

It’s starting now, right? I can’t find the stream…

EDIT: Am I early?