~The Game Pass Thread~

They actually didn’t have the best quarter. All gaming is down, including the section where Gamepass is:

Worth noting that if you own Rare Replay then this will be added to your library free of charge.

I do own Rare Replay on disc. But it is nice having it on game pass too, for not having to look for the disc. Yay.

I wonder how different Goldeneye will play compared to my memory of it. Definitely the game that completely changed my perception of console gaming completely. I used to be PC gamer only. Wing Commander, Star Control, Prince of Persia, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent, etc. And then Goldeneye came along and showed that not only could consoles do first person shooters. They could do them better than on PC. It blew my mind. Soldiers who got shot in the foot who hopped around on the other foot? Soldiers who got shot in the arm grabbed their arm in pain? What? Why wasn’t this done on shooters on the PC?

TBH, with vaccines allowing people to get out of their houses and the end of work from home for so many people, this is rather expected.

Yup, this. All those down figures also say -right in line with guidaance’- i.e. this was expected and normal.

OMG I am going to play the fuck out of that!

My boy asked me to fish my N64 out of the attic the other day and I jokingly said ‘Why? You won’t even know how to play Goldeneye!’ :D

I thought Darkest Dungeon was already on Game Pass? I must be missing something.

Ok, so maybe last year I was at a buddy’s house and he actually had set up an old N64, and so we played some goldeneye… on an old school CRT, in 4 way splitscreen.

Now, back in the day, I played the shit out of that game.

Holy crap, it’s damn near unplayable.

I mean, first of all, the default control scheme is bonkers. Bear in mind, this was probably the first console shooter? The default control scheme is something like the left stick rotates you and moves you forward and back, and the right “stick” (which is actually buttons) was sidways straffing and pitch up and down… something crazy like that.

Then there is the issue with sections being impossible to see. The whole caves complex is basically just a giant brown/black smudge.

I loved that game, but man, I dunno if you can go home.

I had trouble going back to Goldeneye too. The Jungle level was the end for me.

It had been removed.

We always played control scheme “C” or 3, I believe, which had the yellow C buttons as the equivalent of WASD, and the stick for aiming like with a mouse.

But yeah, I’m glad I’ll be able to play it with a modern dual stick scheme now.

I do want to try out Telling Lies before it leaves. For it be “very short”, do you recommend having a playthrough handy? Or will that spoil the game experience?

I don’t even know what a walkthrough for Telling Lies would look like. It’s kind of like the old Ultima games where you’d have a conversation and they’d say something interesting, so you’d ask about that keyword to further the conversation. Except in this case, you’re picking out key words from videos you watch and put them into a search engine for more videos. It is an interesting game though, as are Her Story and Immortality from the same dev.

I did that for Her Story, and after 20 minutes I ran out of ideas on what to search for next. The clips I watched up to that point weren’t all that interesting, so I never went back. Maybe if I’d looked up what search terms to look for next, I could have gone forward?

It’s basically the same deal, just a little bigger. Like there are multiple characters and storylines to follow through Telling Lies, as opposed to Her Story’s one character and story. So I mean, you’re not going to find a drastically different experience. Immortality is pretty different, at least in how to play it, though you’re still kind of sifting through audiovisual clues.

edit: I will add though, I never really felt like I reached a conclusion with Her Story, where I did feel like things drew together and came together much better in Telling Lies. There were a couple of moments that actually kind of shocked me in that game. So I guess I could say that Her Story did kind of feel like a trial run for Telling Lies, though I think a lot of people prefer the earlier game.

Yes, definitely… I eventually realized that there was this alternate scene, which I definitely must have used back when I played the game originally, because the default control scheme is unusable.

But when I first tried it recently, and the default control scheme kicked in, I was “wtf is happening?”

I’m glad to see my Goldeneye contrarianism is gaining support. It was a valiant attempt at a console shooter for the time, and I played the hell out of it at uni with friends, but it’s objectively bad compared to half a dozen contemporary PC games and their mod scenes.

Lol, it was like that back in the 90s too. PC gamers thought console gamers were crazy for their love of it. There is one thing that Goldeneye has that PC FPS games lack however : split-screen multiplayer. We used to play the hell out of it back then.

The campaign I could take or leave, though it does have memorable parts.

I’m up for a rose-tinted look back at Goldeneye through Game Pass but I doubt it’ll hold my attention for more than 15 minutes.

Goddamn I had some great times playing that game, solo and with friends. There’s a cigarette burn on our old coffee table (now in my mother-in-law’s living room) from when my dumb friend Mike left it burning during an intense Goldeneye match.

And speaking of gaming stories with my dumb friend Mike, I had one of those weird, ergonomic office chairs that you kneel on at my PC desk. Mike came over to play Doom for the first time and when an imp jumped out and startled him with a fireball to the face, he jerked back so hard the chair tipped over and he went flat on his back. It was the funniest thing that ever happened.

I remember playing in the library, and one guy picking the snow trooper that had the same texture as was on the walls, so when the rest of us killed him we would unload as many bullets into his body as possible to make him covered in blood and wouldn’t blend in.

Well said; I share your sentiment.