~The Game Pass Thread~

Update today adds a ‘Play later’ list, plus some other bits and bobs.

The really sad thing is I had that wishlisted alongside VA-11 HALL-A and it effectively came down to a gut choice between the two in the summer(?) steam sale. I try not to do the whole ‘backlog stuffed to the gills with stuff I will never play’ thing anymore since it just brings me anxiety instead of pleasure.

This was all in the more unenlightened pre-gamepass times, of course. I’d chalk it up as my 3rd worst purchase of 2020, right after Möbius Front '83 and those theatre tickets I bought in January.

great another backlog of shame!

I think downloads have moved into the app from the MS Store? Unless that was always there. Seems much more convenient.

And that Play Later list doesn’t seem to be available for everything, or at least I can’t get it to work for everything. Not Wasteland 3 for example. Someone else try please :)

Likewise, though I bought it on Steam. I really should get round to finishing it. Also, I like Christine Love’s games.

Doom’s live :)

A bit disappointed with this part in Haven’s review (RPS)

It has a problem though. By the time the plot proper began to kick off, I was already tired of the rest of it. Exploring Source is, some clunky keyboard controls aside (particularly the lack of any camera controls when you’re moving at speed, which the devs have said will be addressed by release), a delight at first. You slide around the pretty islets, befriending alien wildlife and exchanging frequent but not bothersome chatter, picking occasional plants, and seeking out bridges to new lands. Most are afflicted by ‘rust’, a suspicious but useful substance you gather, but which also causes animals to attack. You put these attacks down together by firing off energy bolts, shields, or plain bashing them, before using your ‘pacify’ skill to purge the corruption and restore the beasties to their harmless, cheerful meandering.
I’m sure there’s a specific game universally recognised as the standard reference point for this kind of combat, but I haven’t played it, so you’ll have to make do. Fights happen in real time, but enemies attack on an unseen timer, while you hold keyboard buttons or (very much recommended) controller thumbsticks to charge up your own attacks. It’s… okay. I prefer it to faffing around in the usual godawful turn-based JRPG menus, and the animations and variety of enemies are solid enough. I liked teaming up for power attacks, but the unusual controls never quite etched into my muscle memory. Most of all though, it plain gets old.
Gathering food and clearing out five or six islets of rust was pleasant and pretty. Entering a tenth one, however, became a chore.
The combat and exploration aren’t varied or rewarding enough in themselves to fill the space that the story’s pace leaves. Gathering food and clearing out five or six islets of rust was pleasant and pretty. Entering a tenth one, however, became a chore. By the time I’d reached the twentieth, very similar-looking area, I had stopped bothering to collect anything, and was actively dreading the next obstacle between me and the next bit of the plot. It doesn’t help that you can only eat, sleep, and even heal at specific camping spots, which most areas don’t have.

Looks like we can expect more games before the end of the year!

matt percy on Twitter: “AG approved gaming 🔥 on @XboxGamePass, and we’re just getting warmed up ahead of the holiday season!” / Twitter

Won’t install for me. It says “Preparing…” and then errors out.

Fine here - been playing for a while. Maybe heavy load?

Downloaded Control on the XSX. Will hopefully try it out later tonight.

Does the XSX version have ray-tracing?

I think sometime in early 2021. Right now it’s just the X1X version.

Unfortunately nobody can find out at the moment, at least through Game Pass - the game crashes on startup.

Ysbryd Games on Twitter: “Hey everyone, we’re aware that VA-11 Hall-A on @XboxGamePassPC is consistently crashing for all players immediately after selecting New Game. We’re investigating this & will deliver a fix for the Game Pass build ASAP. Hang tight, soon it’ll be time to mix drinks and change lives! https://t.co/ZL8Ww8yCiu” / Twitter

Is there any way to stop PC Gamepass doing that annoying “take me to the games” on startup? And why is it so slow to load the library every time? Feel the app got worse when the monthly price went up. I can’t even find a way to sort the library (other than “move to top”, yeah, really useful MS), or make it put the text name of the game by default instead of having to click the arrow. If I use “move to top” the order just reverts to random chaos the next time I open the app anyway. Ffffuuuuuuuuuu

There’s something seriously wrong with the app these days. It’s laggy and sometimes dips to 30 fps. Fortunately, I’m only in there for a second.

I haven’t tried the app since I got an Xbox Series X, so after reading these posts this morning, I fired up the Xbox app on my PC, and it loaded up that green loading screen, and then it turned black and showed nothing. I waited a while, and then shut it down. And back when it was in beta when this happened, I would have to shut it from the bottom right icon in the task bar. So I did that. And then I restarted the app.

And it does the same thing. So, it looks like the app isn’t working at all for me now.

I’ll have to troubleshoot it when I get home tonight.

The opening splash screen appearing every. single. time. has to be a bug. Really annoying though.

The “repair” function in Settings → Apps may help with this.

I definitely haven’t seen a splash screen when I open the GamePass (“Xbox”) app (win10 PC) in a long time. Overall though the app is useable but embarassingly slow in the “takes 10-15 seconds to load” timeframes. It’s decently pretty, but the pages are basically just box art and game info - I’m not sure why it’s not near-instantaneous, so I’m never surprised when weird things happen. For me it’s empty boxes in the “Recently Added” row so I know there’s new games coming. I often try to refresh it by going to another page and coming back or restarting the app, which has like a 10% success rate, so usually I’ll I come here or google first to see what’s being added and whether it’s worth the effort to get those boxes to load.

There was an update yesterday that happened to, among other things, change green loading to black loading. But then it normally loads for me and works. Check your microsoft store - updates to see if it can be updated there, or run repair as recommended above.

The app is still shit though. I just hate how the games are still encrypted and all that nonsense. But GP itself is a good deal.

Wasn’t Dragon Quest XI supposed to come out today as well? The new version which has worse graphics but better music?