~The Game Pass Thread~

Bug fables was on my wishlist as well. Looking forward to it

Perks also mentions a free, time limited space jam game next week. The original is one of my favorite movies

Newegg deal for $50 12 month XBL Gold is back.

Okay, have to ask a question about subscription services and Game Pass specifically. I’ve a Game Pass subscription on PC and games I’m interested in playing are also offered for sale at a slight discount. Aside from purchasing them so that they remain available to me, in case they ever may be taken off Game Pass, what is the reason why I’d want to purchase a game? Isn’t the point of having a subscription to avoid the individual game payouts?

I feel like I’m missing a benefit to buying. I see that there are DLCs, perhaps, that you have to buy as they aren’t offered even if the base game is available, and those DLC are useless if the base game leaves the service.

Perhaps the devs get more money if you buy? Sorry if this is already explained somewhere, but I only jumped into Game Pass with WL3 and have yet to play/finish another game on the service.

No, that’s it.

If you don’t subscribe forever you still have your game.

I assume they get paid whatever their normal sale percentage is if you buy through Microsoft. Other than that, the benefit to you is to keep it forever when it leaves Game Pass or you stop the sub.

You can probably make sure to never buy a Microsoft-associated game, though, unless you’re planned to cancel. I don’t think those ever leave.

Many games leave Game Pass after a year or so too.

Sure, though odds are that the sale price a year from now will be lower than it is right now, even with the subscriber discount.

That is certainly true, their prices aren’t great.

One nice side-effect of the thing is that gets a lot of games on the Windows Store, with Xbox Achievements. So even after they leave game pass, there’s PC versions of games out there that I can earn xbox achievements on. Which is very cool.

The downside is you have to deal with MS Store’s shitty install/patch/update/download system and the UWP version of the games’ obfuscated file systems missing features from non-MS Store versions like benchmarks or mod support.

Very true. It’s a shame. I don’t usually care that much about mod support, as I always try to experience games as the creators originally intended, and I find that after doing that, I seldom if ever go back to them anyway. But it is a shame that developers give it less support in terms of bugs and patches.

Guess the only downside to playing on Game Pass, then, is the game leaving when I’m not yet finished it. But, if it’s a good enough game, I can pick it up elsewhere. Only problem with that scenario is that saves aren’t likely to be transferable to other services (Steam, GOG, etc). I think that’s the case, anyway. Anyone heard different?

Very likely you won’t be able to transfer the save, and as I’ve warned a bunch GamePass deletes local saves when you uninstall the game and not all games support Xbox cloud saves. So that’s something to consider for some games too if you think you might revisit it much later.

I was able to transfer my Football Manager saves as they were stored in the ‘My Documents’ folder, it’s the only game I’ve tried it with though. I’d imagine saves put in the install location would be a pain in the ass to get.

The odd thing I’ve seen with gamepass is that uninstalling something doesn’t seem to actually remove it at that moment. I uninstalled Forza Horizon 4 and the disk wasn’t showing the space reclaimed. Looking around online I found out I should run the disk cleanup app to get the space back right away, and apparently they leave things there to speed up downloading again if you want it. I’m not sure how/when they determine to reclaim the space if you need it.

I wonder if/when Gamepass comes to Steam that will we get cloud save so our progress isn’t lost if the game leaves Gamepass.

I’ve run into this:

It is giving me the option to install Forza Horizon 4 again, so hopefully things are working.

It took 2x space for Halo MCC for me recently, not acknowledging/deleting an install on one drive but allowing redownload on another.