~The Game Pass Thread~

That, along with lowering my desktop resolution, are two things I’m generally averse to doing in 2021 to play a game. I’ll usually uninstall and play something else instead. :)

Yeah, it’s definitely a disincentive. Especially when you’re dealing with a veritable smorgasbord of other game options.

I was surprised that I liked The Bard’s Tale IV enough to bother making that adjustment each time I loaded it up.

THANK SPAGHETTI MONSTER FINALLY YAY

Only took what, 4 years? Better late than never! This genuinely pleases me.

Terrific! Seriously, I just installed Windows 11 this week because my Xbox app got hosed when I tried to free up 500+ gigs of SSD space it wasn’t letting go of, requiring a new OS install. They must have heard me cussing them out!

It’s good they’re doing this, but I’m fully expecting them to somehow wipe my hard drive accidentally when I install the new client.

Definitely. I’m making backups now. :P

I’m still kind of mind boggled that I had to run FH5 as Administrator last night, from the Start Menu, in order to have the game work. These are simple things that should not happen, and especially not from the company that makes the frigging operating system.

Coincidentally Newegg has the $50 sale back on today.

Well, I just watched the video where they talk about it:

And I still have no idea how it will work. If it will be completely unlocked like with Steam/GOG/etc, or if it will still be locked, and just give more options to where to install games. Will accessing game files be completely free form, or will it have to be done through the app somehow?

I did notice there was a caveat there. “For many games, you’ll be able to access to local files”. So not universal? Wonder what that means because developers can already distribute their games with access to the folder. It goes into ModifiableSomethingorother folder which is like any other.

I can already choose what drive to install to, so not sure what that’s about. Choosing a folder I think would be new but that only matters if I have access to the folder which would hinge on the first point. If most really does mean most, then I’m happy or at least mollified. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see. A lot of the stuff sounds like things that can already be done but I don’t think they’d be marketing it if there was effectively no change.

I expect this means games written to UWP will remain inaccessible, while standard win32 games won’t.

It does make me wonder because in his intro he refers specifically to UWP games and the challenges it has posed in the past, then launches into how they’re improving it. It sounded like improvements to UWP apps, but it really could mean anything and be just as you say… which would be the status quo? I already can install “modifiable” games that I have full access to the folder and can muck around, install mods, and make changes.

I’d be very surprised if many existing games are opened up, at least for Game Pass. I’m assuming it mainly applies to future releases. Maybe stuff like MSFS where they’re constantly working on it.

Doh!, If only i would have waited. It’s funny I think Karma was trying to spin my way but I ignored it. I tried to order from Costco last night and I guess ordering 3 years of xbox live triggered some type of fraud alert and they just canceled my order with no explanation. I tried again, same thing so I opened a chat 30+ minutes later I’ve got my codes. Now I’m thinking that I was supposed to just say F it and wait until i saw your post today ;-)

The rest of the process worked as expected and I’m good now until 11/24. I was never prompted about a free month for reoccurring but of course they turned it on automatically.

All good, it only cost you fifteen bucks.

too true but damn I’m a Min Maxer at heart. I’ll probably be short $15 for that upgraded sword in the next town.

Okay, so just to double check, I don’t have any active Xbox subscription of any kind. I had a Game Pass sub for a few months maybe a year ago?

If I buy one of the Newegg discounted Xbox Gold memberships for $50, then upgrade my account to game pass ultimate for $1 (using the link in the PC World article several dozen posts above) I will get Game Pass Ultimate for less than$5/month.

If I buy 3 years worth of Gold membership, I can lock that price in for 3 years.

Right?

Edit: Correct! Below someone mentions your account must be lapsed to do this dance.

Holy crap, it worked!

That’s correct, yes.

Thanks! I’m surprised that worked.