~The Game Pass Thread~

Well, I’ve wanted to try it, and nearly bought it several times, so cool. From what I know about it, the game people might be familiar with that is similar is the nonary game series (999, etc)

Microsoft store apparently started showing the expiration date for Game Pass discounts on games, which let people know the date it might be leaving Game Pass. Still classified as rumor, but the dates seem right to me, if those games are not renewed, which sometimes happens.

If these are true, I really need to continue my game of Plague Tale and Control. Stat!

Just saw this image posted elsewhere, but can’t find the official announcement post yet.

But anyway: Death’s Door is excellent, one of the best games from last year. Excited for Pupperazzi!

Nobody saves the world looks cool

Damn, the whole Hitman trilogy? That’s kinda cool. Hitman 3 was a big deal not all that long ago.

I’ve been thinking of getting started with PC Game Pass. What’s the state of the app in January 2022? Does it still suck?

Yes, it still sucks, but it works in that you can install and play games.

Usually. And if not you only have to do a full reinstall of Windows a very small percent of the time.

Most of the time it’s fine but when it’s not there isn’t much you can do to fix it, and the error messages are generally unhelpful.

I’m fortunate in that I’ve had zero issues with it, and I’ve been using it for quite a while. Phenomenal value.

Well not a full reinstall from scratch, you can install Windows on top of itself to fix pesky UWP bullshit.

Sent you a friend Invite (gamertag Pyperkub)

Nobody Saves the World looked interesting, and is a dev I’ve liked, but boy does it feel grindy right out of the gate, not sure I’m going to stick with it.

In the section below the new games coming, there was the games that are leaving Jan 31:

Cyber Shadow (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Nowhere Prophet (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Prison Architect (PC)
Xeno Crisis (Cloud, Console, and PC)

Any of those recommended by anyone here, to check out before they leave?

The only one I played was Nowhere Prophet and it was kind of cool as a Slay the Spire-like, but with tactical battles. But the structure made it a much longer game than StS, so losing in the latter parts was much more demoralizing. Great touch controls on the PC version, though.

If you’re on board with retro pixel-art action/platformers, Cyber Shadow is a good one of those.

And Nowhere Prophet is a really cool spin on the deckbuilding genre that does a good job of mechanically evoking its premise (shepherding a small band of followers along a long and harsh journey). Unlike most in the genre, you’re not cycling through your deck multiple times per battle, and your goal isn’t a stripped-down hyper-consistent deck. Each card in the follower deck is an individual who persists between battles, and you often have to weigh interesting tradeoffs of short vs. long-term gain (for example, deploying a wounded unit might be the best way to win the current battle, but risks having them killed permanently).

Things do eventually start to feel repetitive, but you can get plenty of enjoyment out of it before then.

Nowhere Prophet isn’t a streamlined experience like StS or Monster Train. I’d say if someone liked Griftlands it is worth a look.

Someone explain the Game Pass “touch controls” thing. Are some GP games playable on mobile through a GP app? Or is this by streaming to a mobile device from an Xbox or PC? Or is it only streaming from an Xbox?

They stream to your phone from the xCloud, err, cloud.

So if I pay for PC Game Pass… do I have access to xCloud?

No, you need ultimate.