~The Game Pass Thread~

Finally got around to playing with some GamePass games. First off I tried queuing a bunch of games to download but the xbox (beta) client was very unhappy after I restarted my machine. I couldn’t restart the download on any of the games or cancel them. I figured out if you go to the app store interface for windows you can restart and reorder the downloads.

Tried out Steam world dig 2 while Exodus was downloading and it worked well right out of the box, and being a small 2d game loaded fast. Had a brief scare with the PS4 controller not working, thinking I was really going to miss Steam input, but that turned out to be a false alarm. Still missed Steam input but it did work.

Exodus was another matter. First off I wanted to delete the stupid intro movies for faster loading. Can’t do that, at least easily, with an app store game. It hides the game directory under special permissions. I forced taking over the directory but I still couldn’t find the intro movies and just gave up before spending too much time.

Then I wanted to benchmark the game. No benchmark included with the game pass version. Grrr.

Then I wanted to change the default fov because I was getting motion sickness. I did find that config file but I never would have without somebody else doing the legwork. It’s almost impossible to find compared to the standard appdata or documents locations and the file names are all guids (think long random string of garbage characters).

Ok, well then how about an fps meter? Oh, none of them work with the game pass version. Maybe geforce experience does, but I don’t want to install that POS.

I did finally start playing the game and it runs pretty well, or at least feels like it does, so that’s good.

I don’t like subscription services, but the $1 conversion of almost 3 years of live was to good to pass up.

Yeah, same here. Before this move, I’d subscribe here or there to check out a game or three, but I much prefer buying games. But then the $1 conversion was too good a deal to pass up. So now I’m in it long term.

More games leaving on Xbox. End of the month.

Not sure if there are also some leaving on PC? Is there a section for that?

• A Kingdom of Keflings
  • A World of Keflings
  • Alien Hominid
  • BattleBlock Theater
  • Garou Mark of Wolves
  • Hue
  • Inner Space
  • Manuel Samuel
  • Sky Force Reloaded

I thought these lists were monthly, missed playing last weeks. Sadface.

Tried Bard’s Tale 1 for an hour. It’s decent with a controller. There’s a lot of gameplay options, and it doesn’t feel too hardcore yet (other than the maps) with the new stuff on. I think most people would quit before they find the first dungeon - that part hasn’t changed.

Slay the Spire was also good with an xbox controller.

Titles didn’t start leaving XGP until about 6 months in, I assume that’s close to what the minimum amount of contract time would be. So I would not expect PC departures until 2020 or so.

Although I do recall MSGV being on for a very brief span the first time, it was not part of the original XGP lineup.

Maybe I"ll give this another try before it goes off GP then. I tried it a month ago and it seemed to grindy for my liking.

Reloaded is more grindy for sure, compared to Sky Force Anniversary, in which you level up all your abilities much faster to the top tier. In Sky Force Reloaded, you can just keep upgrading and upgrading and upgrading, seemingly forever. Luckily you can start winning fairly quickly anyway, despite being able to upgrade forever, if you get good at the game.

I was good until the last level or two. I still haven’t successfully finished those.

(I bought the game btw, so I don’t need to worry about it going off GamePass).

This is my go-to local multiplayer game. Great fighting game to throw your friends who never play fighting games into.

ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh

Bard’s Tale 3 on C64 was a pretty defining moment in my youth. I still remember the final battle and having to reload time after time to get the lucky spell combination to win. Will definitely be giving this a spin.

So just about 9 months for games to arrive and then leave the service.
@krayzkrok , I think 9 months is a reasonable time to play something, it is a rental service of sorts after all. :)

Found the dates here.

I totally understand that. :)
I mean I just finished Steam World Dig after 5 years of on again off again playing.

If you want to continue playing things, Game Pass games are on sale for 20%-off once they’ve been on the service for long enough.

Yeah, I posted a little of my experience with it last night over in the Slay the spire thread. Neat little game.

While it doesn’t devalue the experience for me it would be awesome if they showed end dates for games. It would definitely allow me to prioritize my slow progressing queue more efficiently.

Right. I wonder what effect this will have. Will the hunter-gatherer in me not be satisfied with games dribbling in via subscriptions. It’s like I paid the gold price and not the iron price :)

Finally dove into the PC app this weekend and played through Timespinner. The game was decent, a bit too much aping of the formula from Symphony of the Night. Even for a beta, the app seems very barebones - really needs a better browsing interface for starters and the lack of screen showing achievements is annoying. It’s all in the old Xbox app (now rebranded as the Xbox Console Companion) so hopefully they’ll move the functionality over.

Some new games announced at Gamescom:

And 3 of them are available today: Age of Empires Definitive Edition (PC), Devil May Cry 5 (Console), and Stellaris (Console, PC soon).

Woah. Kingdom Come? And Age of Empires Definitive? And Devil May Cry 5? What?

Yeah, Kingdom Come will be available for PC and Console on August 22.

Stellaris? Always wanted to try that- downloaded it during the free weekend a while back, but only got to play for an hour or so? And Bard’s Tale 4? That hadn’t even been announced for Xbone. Cool. Too bad Ape Out isn’t on console, that sounds interesting. And I suppose I’ll check out Kingdom Come. Why not?