~The Game Pass Thread~

Eurogamer recommends As Dusk Falls. I’m very skeptical. The previews make that game look terrible.

Comes out on Game Pass this week. I think I saw it listed as a Microsoft First Party title somewhere this morning.

I am really not in the market for interactive movie games.

Nothing much for me in this batch. They’re adding a bunch of games I already own, but haven’t gotten around to playing/finishing yet, like Torment, Watch Dogs 2, Inside.

On the other hand, the batch leaving July 31:

• Dodgeball Academia (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Katamari Damacy Reroll (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Lumines Remastered (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Omno (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Raji: An Ancient Epic (Cloud, Console, and PC)

Oh no! I haven’t played any of those yet. I’m in the middle of Omno, I guess I’d better get a move on. I really like that chill game. I never even installed Raji yet, but kept meaning to check it out.

Its coming back in the enhanced version apparently

Hmm, seems like enhanced is coming before it’s set to leave, so don’t know if that means it’ll be enhanced for just a few days and then be gone https://twitter.com/rajithegame/status/1548244467089453058?s=21&t=EMxPSUXxHTJboZRSOlOGUA

That’s AC Origins, Far Cry 5 and Watch Dogs 2, plus R6 Extraction from Ubisoft. It would be interesting to know their thinking on Gamepass. Not least vs their own subscription service.

I forget if I played watchdogs 2 or not…

It was the cheerful San Francisco one where you beat people to death with your yoyo.

I guess Polygon does as well.

And Rock Paper Shotgun.

One particular scenario involves Dale screaming at a barking dog to be quiet. To show that Dale is dangerous, he points a gun towards the dog (it’s a very cute dog) and screams that he doesn’t care what it feels.

I’m gonna try this on my cat next time he won’t stop meowing for no reason.

So As Dusk Falls is apparently a roughly 6 hour Telltale-like game about a family drama. I mean, I guess I’ll try it, what the heck.

OK, someone tell me what I did wrong with the Slickdeals GamePass Ultimate offer above.

My GPUltimate sub was due to expire today, so I bought two codes over the weekend and redeemed them using the link on the Slickdeals page.

This morning, my GPUltimate sub has expired. I can see the six months from the codes on my account as “XBox Live Gold” but PC Gamepass says I no longer have a sub.

Is there a way to salvage this?

Yes, you probably came out better for this.

Basically instead of getting converted from 180 days to 100 days of Ultimate, you got 180 days of Gold instead.

I would suggest getting more of those 3 month codes until you get 3 years of Gold, and then convert it all at once to Ultimate. If you already did that once for $1, you won’t get that offer again, but you can still convert from Gold to Ultimate for $14.99.

How do I convert the Gold on my account to Ultimate? I don’t see an obvious way of doing that.

Do I need to resub to ultimate for $14.99 first?

You upgrade it. So again, if you can buy more of those 90 day Gold subs first, it will be a better deal.

This page should let you upgrade.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold/upgrade

Once you upgrade, it will be 1:1. So if you have 3 years of gold, it will turn into 3 years of Ultimate.

Oh cool, I didn’t know they were still doing that.

Yep - that worked, thanks!

Now I can play Peppa Pig.

It’s like we share the same brain today, Timex!

I suppose I should get over my anti-FMV mindset because I think I’ve missed out on some good games like Her Story, Not For Broadcast, and now this.

And I guess Legion is the Watch Dog game I haven’t yet played.

None of the Supermassive games like Until Dawn or The Quarry are FMV. They’re fully animated games using animated character models and not FMV. As Dusk Falls is pseudo-FMV: drawn over video/photo images of actors.

And neither Her Story nor Not for Broadcast are interactive movies. They’re FMV, but the video is a crucial part of how both of those games work. They wouldn’t work nearly as well with animation.

I’m curious to try both of those titles.

Yeah, that’s the gist of the point I was trying to make. There are titles using FMV for strong, creative reasons but I still have some internal hesitation about trying them out. Seems I’d rather play a more traditional game or watch a scripted show/movie rather than ever crossing the streams. I gotta get past it because I think I’m missing some cool experiences.

Fortunately, that’s where Game Pass excels!

I was just coming to this thread to confess that I am really enjoying Power Wash Simulator. I find it really zen. The sound of the washer itself is almost like a relaxing white noise, and there is a lot of satisifaction in methodically cleaning each bit one at a time. (I just finished the playground.)

I had previously tried Lawn Mowing Simulator, but bounced off of it, and I think a lot of it was because honestly the lawn mower was too loud and more stressful than relaxing. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this as much as I am, but there you are.