~The Game Pass Thread~

I tried it when it came to gamepass, but bounced off of it… it was really weird.

I’m trying to like that tennis game but what’s really annoying about it is that you use the same darn stick (the left one) to move AND to aim your shots. So what ends up happening is that if you’re moving forward into the swing you almost inevitably hit the ball out past the baseline.

What was that tennis game series that they had on the consoles and PC starting about 20 years ago? Those seemed more forgiving.

EDIT: It was Top Spin. I have Top Spin 3 for the 360 on disc, but I doubt it’ll work on my Series X due to player name/image licensing and all that.

Library of Ruina is the first game I understood less after playing the tutorial.

Library of Ruina is in a Humble Bundle right now along with a bunch of other high-quality games for $15. Don’t bother trying to play it on console - it’s clearly designed to be played with a mouse, and the controller interface seems like it was cobbled together at the last minute.

Expeditions Rome has been on my wishlist ever since it came out but just never quite bit the bullet. Glad to see that it’s coming to GamePass.

Hugely anticipating Two Point Campus. Hospital was really well done but a bit too close to the original to hold my interest for long. Hopefully the new setting lets them experiment a bit. Offworld Trading Company is probably my favourite strategy game since Company of Heroes. If you haven’t tried it, do yourself a favour.

When the heck is Judgment gonna come to GP?

Interesting …

Makes sense to me! Would definitely do this when they inevitably close the $4/month loophole.

Well it’s been rumored for a while, looks like it’s finally happening.

What, closing the loophole? This doesn’t imply anything there one way or the other. Game Pass was already a huge pain in the ass to share, to such an extent that I didn’t bother. And this will probably deeply surprise all of you, but I’m a cheap bastard.

No, the family plan. Nobody’s talking about the loophole, which isn’t even a loophole.

Of course it’s a loophole, it’s a 72% savings, depending on which deal you happen upon. Microsoft knows it exists obviously and lets it happen, but that doesn’t mean it was intended.

It’s a “loophole” that’s existed for several years now and that MS practically advertises. If it pleases you to feel that you’re getting away with something, have at it. But at a certain point semantics would dictate that the word you’re using no longer has meaning.

Microsoft doesn’t advertise it at all. They don’t even wink, wink about it. This is something people discovered on their own and Microsoft allows to continue to buy marketshare.

The loophole is definitely a loophole.

Agreed, they announced the Gold to UGP conversion thing once and then never really spoke about it again. If you go to the website and the console, the way they want you to enter the ecosystem is to join UGP for $1 for one month or three months, and then hopefully continue paying. That’s what they advertise in the space people see.

Right, it’s only us “extremely online” people (as the kids put it) that are aware of the loophole.

There happens to be a lot of “extremely online” people if you were to put us all in a stadium or whatever, but pretty small as a proportion of the population.

You guys are nuts. If a store puts coupons in some obscure magazine that has to be sought out, that’s not a loophole. They’d love for you to spend full price on GPU but if you want to jump in at a serious discount well, right now that works just fine too. And no, I would not be surprised if this option goes away at some point. But that will be when MS decides they’ve got enough folks on the hook that they can live with some of them bailing out because the price is no longer right.

More details about this family pass:

So one person subscribing on this new plan can share the plan with up to four other people and all five must live in the same country. And those who are testing this are converting their existing plan to this new one -

Insider Preview will convert the time remaining on your membership to time in the new plan, based upon the monetary value of the old membership. For example, a full month of Ultimate will be converted to 18 days of membership for this plan. This way you won’t lose any of the remaining value on your existing subscription upon conversion. Conversion is final, and users must wait for their new membership to expire before returning to a previous membership.

So the new plan’s conversion rate from GPU looks like a 3:5 conversion ratio. Since this is just open to existing members, looks like pricing isn’t being mentioned yet.