~The Game Pass Thread~

Wait, so those underlined words are hyperlinks? How do you get to them? Do you use the d-pad? Or maybe one of the face buttons?

This is some kind of metahumor I assume? :)

Occam’s Razor says the spelling issue can be attributed to autocorrect!

With a keyboard you can press tab with a mouse you click. I tried with a controller a bit and I’m not sure how to activate, maybe one of the shoulder buttons

Ok it’s actually dyslexia or something, I honestly thought the game was Pentitent. I saw the medieval stuff and my brain thought it was penitence. So what does pentiment mean?

That’s a good question, one that Sawyer addressed in an interview I read recently:

What about the game’s unusual title? A pentiment is an image hidden in a painting. A layer of paint is removed (sometimes naturally through ageing, sometimes intentionally) and people switch positions, details change, or eyes look in different directions. “There’s a lot of significance to it,” says Sawyer. “There are a bunch of obvious things, like manuscripts and paintings hiding things under the layers. You’re uncovering a mystery, and art is very important to the story. But there are other meanings to the word that I think will become more apparent as you play through Pentiment and reveal more of the story.”

Somerville was pretty disappointing. I really liked Limbo and Inside and it looked like a successor to those. You pretty much just use light sources to break down matter or solidify it. If the guy had just brought a flashlight with him there wouldn’t have been much of a game. It’s mechanically shallow and the puzzles are a pushover. Feels more like a walking sim at times as I hammer on the stick in a desperate attempt to make the guy move faster. Why won’t you go faster!? Oh no, now he’s hurt and even slower.

The real difficulty of the game is interacting with anything. It takes multiple tries to interact with a simple switch. Am I in front of it or to the side of it? I’m not sure since they took a cinematic approach and zoomed the camera out. A simple button prompt when you are in front of something interactable would have been a godsend. There was a chase sequence that took me multiple attempts due to having to open a car door during the chase. There are no cool deaths like in Limbo or Inside either, screen just goes black.

The presentation is pretty cool though and it’s short, took me like 3 hours. ACG liked it quite a bit.

Yeah, I really like the art style, but the game itself wasn’t doing it for me after half an hour or so.

I finished Somerville. 5/10, totally average game. Decent art style and atmosphere, weak gameplay, puzzles, minimalistic nonemotional meh of a story.

My finishing achievement was due to button mashing as I had no idea what was going on at the end there :)

In my Somerville ending I entered the last screen, saw Hands Across America waiting for me to take my place. I messed around not really knowing what to do before I held both triggers. Achievement Unlocked: YOU CHOSE THE PATH OF VIOLENCE. I did? Oh ok.

Wow, you guys beat Somerville in a day? Somehow I thought it was a bigger game.

5 hours. Felt long enough :)

I had the ending where house appears I enter it and credits
Also a bad ending. Also had no idea what the game wanted from me there, but more importantly, it didn’t actually make me care to find out.

I’m not enough of a Dune fan to wade through all the Duney threads to find the right one for the game on Gamepass. But I just tried it and it seemed worth a go for Dune lovers :)

I think it’s this one?

So is the “game preview” on Gamepass for Dune Spice Wars the full Early Access or something less?

I assumed Preview = EA.

I believe that’s correct. “Game Preview” is just Gamepass-speak for Early Access.

Cool - thanks