~The Game Pass Thread~

Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango are all on Game Pass and still totally worth checking out.

Yay.

Weren’t folks trying to argue that gamepass subscriber growth had slowed or something?

Slowed growth still results in new highs. That’s how math works.

Were they near 120M users then?

I thought they only had 25-30 million Game Pass subscribers? How are they counting 120 million?

From our own forums, apparently back in the beginning of last year, they were around 25M active users, and brad was saying they had already captured all their likely users and so subscriber growth was slowing.

There has to be some odd wording here that we aren’t getting- ‘active users’ instead of ‘subscribers’ like they’ve said before.

“The platform”, IE Xbox, had 120m active users, not Game Pass.

This is what MS themselves have been saying after missing their growth targets for two years in a row. But good job getting suckered by the “monthly active users” figure which has nothing to do with actual subscribers. Full marks!

They actually didn’t have the best quarter. All gaming is down, including the section where Gamepass is:

Worth noting that if you own Rare Replay then this will be added to your library free of charge.

I do own Rare Replay on disc. But it is nice having it on game pass too, for not having to look for the disc. Yay.

I wonder how different Goldeneye will play compared to my memory of it. Definitely the game that completely changed my perception of console gaming completely. I used to be PC gamer only. Wing Commander, Star Control, Prince of Persia, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent, etc. And then Goldeneye came along and showed that not only could consoles do first person shooters. They could do them better than on PC. It blew my mind. Soldiers who got shot in the foot who hopped around on the other foot? Soldiers who got shot in the arm grabbed their arm in pain? What? Why wasn’t this done on shooters on the PC?

TBH, with vaccines allowing people to get out of their houses and the end of work from home for so many people, this is rather expected.

Yup, this. All those down figures also say -right in line with guidaance’- i.e. this was expected and normal.

OMG I am going to play the fuck out of that!

My boy asked me to fish my N64 out of the attic the other day and I jokingly said ‘Why? You won’t even know how to play Goldeneye!’ :D

I thought Darkest Dungeon was already on Game Pass? I must be missing something.

Ok, so maybe last year I was at a buddy’s house and he actually had set up an old N64, and so we played some goldeneye… on an old school CRT, in 4 way splitscreen.

Now, back in the day, I played the shit out of that game.

Holy crap, it’s damn near unplayable.

I mean, first of all, the default control scheme is bonkers. Bear in mind, this was probably the first console shooter? The default control scheme is something like the left stick rotates you and moves you forward and back, and the right “stick” (which is actually buttons) was sidways straffing and pitch up and down… something crazy like that.

Then there is the issue with sections being impossible to see. The whole caves complex is basically just a giant brown/black smudge.

I loved that game, but man, I dunno if you can go home.

I had trouble going back to Goldeneye too. The Jungle level was the end for me.

It had been removed.

We always played control scheme “C” or 3, I believe, which had the yellow C buttons as the equivalent of WASD, and the stick for aiming like with a mouse.

But yeah, I’m glad I’ll be able to play it with a modern dual stick scheme now.