The Gay

[quote=“XtienMurawski”]

I’m referring specifically to how Lot treats his daughters when the angels come to town as a window into how the Bible views women.

“Look there’s two women fucking a polar bear.”

-Amanpour[/quote]

It’s not clear to me that Lot is supposed to be a role model. He’s selfish, he chooses to live in an evil place, and so on. (Alter makes the intriguing suggestion that what happens with Lot and his daughters is a punishment for his actions in Sodom).

Just because an action happens in the bible doesn’t mean the narrator thinks it’s a good idea.

Gav

Have you read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah?

-Amanpour[/quote]

Is that about oppression of women per se though? Even Proust thought Gomorrah represented female homosexuality, not exactly the same as all women.[/quote]

I’m referring specifically to how Lot treats his daughters when the angels come to town as a window into how the Bible views women.

“Look there’s two women fucking a polar bear.”

-Amanpour[/quote]

Well, Lot isn’t exactly a paragon of virtue (see: drinking) and I don’t see anyone advocating his actions.

Lot is described as a righteous man in 2 Peter 2:7-8

Righetous men make mistakes and sin. In fact, a sound argument can be made that most of the OT records the sins and mistakes of righteous men as a demonstration that all men are flawed and need a savior. Adam and Eve disobeyed. Noah got drunk. Moses didn’t enter the promised land because of a sin. King David murdered a man and adulterated all over the new widow. Solomon wrote an entire book about his “Lamentations” during a life of iniquity. Etc.

In any event, Lot trying to pawn off his daughters onto S&G hardly leads to “therefore the Bible puts women down”. There’s plenty of misunderstanding about that whole story anyway: for instance where does it say the men of Sodom were gay (thus the term “sodomy”)? Nowhere. Immoral? Sure, but it seems to me if they were rip-roaring homos, Lot’s daughters wouldn’t have been very appealing as a bribe.

[size=2]Whoops! Good catch, Doc.[/size]

This is Lot again. Noah got drunk and then his son Ham “exposed his father’s nakedness” for which he was cursed.

Lot’s two daughters got him drunk and then seduced him so that his line could continue.

Troy

I believe for every one of those examples–except maybe Noah getting drunk, which is a silly story and a silly example–the characters involved were in some way punished. God (through the Bible) makes clear his displeasure with those characters. Except for the instance where Lot offers up his daughters to be raped by the mob in order to protect the angel/visitors. Lot is not condemned for this act in any way. So yeah, I think that speaks volumes for what the Bible thinks of the value of women as compared to men.

“We can do rapiers…or rape…or both!”

-Amanpour

What about that whole “If your brother dies, you have to marry his wife” bit? not exactly leaving a lot of room for choice.

Consider it “if your brother dies, you must provide for his wife (by marrying her).” Chances are, suitors aren’t lining up at her door. But if they were, I’m sure the interested parties would consider their options.

There are counter examples though. Like when the men of one tribe rape an Israelite woman, her tribe seeks revenge. When the rapist decides to marry the girl, the girl’s relatives say that his whole tribe has to be circumcised first. After they do that and are in too much pain to do anything, the vengeful tribe swoops in and wipes them out.

I’m not saying that this is a great story, but condeming the entire Bible - a compilation of books from different authors - is like saying Sports Illustrated hates women because of the swimsuit issue.

The Gospels, for example are very female friendly and the Book of Judges has female authority figures defending the Israelites.

Troy

Lot was the most righteous man in a corrupt city. The bible doesn’t go into too much detail about Sodom and Gomorrah, but the gist is that the cities were located on very fruitful land. There were many people coming by to mooch off the kindness of the inhabitants. Eventually, the pattern of mooching got old; the citizens and their lawmakers instituted a set of laws to prevent this activity: laws that included never, ever entertaining guests, being mean to company, trusting no one. It got terribly out of hand and the laws evolved into mandates of inflicting pleasure on the inhabitants (sexual or otherwise).

So when the angels arrived in Sodom, Lot, being the righteous person he was, wanted to do right for them by inviting them in, feeding them, giving htem a chance to rest, and so on. But he was terrified of his neighbors’ reactions – rightfully so. When the throng developed outside his house, he offered his daughters in order to spare his visitors, for he feared that both he and they would be harmed. His actions don’t imply it’s how women were or should be treated: he was desperate to appease the crowd while simultaneously treating his visitors in a godly fashion.

Consider it “if your brother dies, you must provide for his wife (by marrying her).” Chances are, suitors aren’t lining up at her door. But if they were, I’m sure the interested parties would consider their options.[/quote]

See the book of Ruth for an example. Ruth’s husband’s relative gives up his claim marry Ruth so that Boaz can do so.

OTOH, it’s not framed as an issue of providing for the wife, but as an issue of continuing the husband’s name.

Gav

No it’s not. It’s like saying Sports Illustrated thinks women are sexy and will sell magazines because of the swimsuit issue. Now if they had a “virgin rape issue”, even if it was only one issue in a year full of issues full of articles by disparate writers, then it would be like saying Sports Illustrated hates women.

God my head hurts.

Look, we could spend all day coming up with dueling examples of how the Bible feels about women. I could come up with many examples of how they are treated poorly, and you could show how they are treated well. Fine. But given that there are stories like the story of Lot’s daughters that I reference above, and given that the Bible says absolutely nothing condemning how said daughters are handled in this passage, I think we can deduce at the very least that there are misogynistic aspects to the book. It was nice of Jesus to come and make that all better, but it doesn’t make it go away.

Fair enough?

“I’m givin’ you that money so I don’t have to kill your ass. You read the Bible?”

-Amanpour

Fair enough. We can agree that the Bible is full of conflicted messages, many of them not very pretty. I put God’s orders of genocide to Saul at the top of my list (though, naturally, there are conflicted interpretation over what that meant, too.)

Troy

Yes, and who’d be extremist enough to do that… ¬_¬

Reviving this old thread to continue discussion with @David2 from another thread. David, you were mentioning maybe excluding immigrants on the basis of their level of intolerance, whether they are muslim or of any other religion.

This is an interesting thread because it kind of goes back to a time when gay rights didn’t have as much support as they do now. But the real inflection point of the gay rights movement happened well before this thread, when gay people started coming out. I think that’s what the made the biggest difference in suddenly changing public perception in the 2010s. Even back in 2004, George Bush was able to get a people galvanized to come to the polls by making them scared of gay marriage. But public opinion changed radically in the intervening years because more and more people began to know someone close to them who was gay. By coming out, and showing family members that there was nothing to be scared of, that’s what changed society.

It’s something that hasn’t happened in 3rd world countries yet, or conservative muslim countries. Gay men are hidden in the shadows and associated with pedophilia in some societies. In Afghanistan, you’ll find a lot of little boys being abused by straight men, and causes homosexuality to get that kind of guilt by association in that area of the World. People basically think that people aren’t born gay, but are basically straight perverts. But I think if you allow them to come to the U.S. and be exposed to actual gay couples, they are more likely to recognize, like Americans did in the last decade, that the reality is something different.

Thanks Rocky,

I think this leads into a subtext of a larger issue with just occurred to me, many people may disagree with me on this.

Culturism- which after a fashion, I have some sympathy on

Not that one culture is superior to another, not at all.

I think that is completely subjective on who you ask. What I do not dispute is that not all cultures can integrate easily, without possible sacrifice from one or other of the cultures.

Culture by Webster’s definition is defined as customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group. The characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time

Essentially a community that develops it own identity, customs, develop their own values of what is right and wrong…any of which may appear alien or even wrong/evil to members of another culture.

Ideally, I see that when two cultures integrate each continues to respect their culture of origin, while learning to integrate with each other. Ideally. I think the American expectation is that you assimilate into ours, and preserve your origins in your own time. Which makes a kind of sense, since they are migrating in, but the rules and expectations for this are very ad hoc and not all defined.

This gets further complicated by trying to integrate non adjacent cultures, where the ideas of right and wrong are vastly different, or becomes even more challenging with ambiguous things like agreeing on abstract concepts of what is moral or not, or agreeing on social norms. Historically, this generally gets worked on its own after a decade or so as people see each other as individuals and not glossy stereotypes of their culture.

However, I want to emphasize that generally, isn’t always, and often tensions and resentment build, that sometimes cascade into violence. Shouldn’t we be more thoughtful about how we integrate, and setting clear expectations?

Now in my mind baselines of racism, homophobia, and even treating women as equals, or generally dehumanizing a segment of people for arbitrary definitions is something the majority of the US culture can probably agree on. Though should we be asking that as a condition of immigration? Should we? I mean we are after all asking them to sacrifice a part of their accepted culture. If we should ask, we couldn’t enforce it of course, but maybe as a bar of social expectations? However, do we also owe them similar concessions if they hold a value dear?

What about their traditions? I assume we can say we agree we want to respect them, and encourage them to honor them as they see fit. However, what if those traditions run counter to our standards?

Ok simple example…what if some ritual requires the woman of the household to do a certain function and the man another? Sounds benign enough, why not. What if that tradition is the women does the dishes and laundry and the man earns the money! Even if they are otherwise equals. Is that crossing a acceptable social boundary? I think most might consider that undesired, a unaccepted social behavior. Now, what if the woman also agrees to this? See? where is that line? Who decides what it is? Who are we to take issue with their norms, as long as all involved consent? Do we owe them similar concessions as part of that integration?

I’ll admit I only recently started thinking about this. I have NOT read any papers on it. I reflect back on our leaders and the various public discussions on this subject in the last 20 years and cant recall any concrete expectations and role model to borrow from. Thoughts? Good reading on the subject? :)

Ill copy this also over to immigration since its probably more appropriate to respond there. :) Respond there

There are an awful lot of actual Americans who believe this should be the case. Not a great example.

Hey, so India just decriminalized gay sex. That’s pretty cool, and by population alone must affect millions and millions of people.

Given all the problems in the world, the idea that countries anywhere still expend time and energy policing where and into whom consenting adults place their body parts seems rather odd, and wasteful. And sort of silly. In this case, while it’s a milestone and long overdue, I fear changing the culture is going to be much tougher. I mean, there are still honor killings and abuse of lower caste people, though both are outlawed.

It’s a start. You have to start at the very beginning.