The General, All-Purpose Forum Game Thread (that is interesting)

Yeah, we should start up the new thread. I pulled down pdfs of the rulebooks yesterday, but there have been a few edits (some at my urging) since then, so I’ll have to grab the most recent versions. I’ll try to come up with a good thread title and set that up this morning. Or if you want to do that Juan, it’s fine.

Nah, you should do it, since you were the initiator of this crazyness! :P

I’m ok if the game doesn’t start for a while. I gotta lot of catching up to do.

Yeah I kick started 4th edition but haven’t read the rules since then so I need to refresh myself on the current edits.

We’re looking for a couple more players for the Resistance: Avalon. The game will start on Monday. Link to the old game where we’re handling sign-ups: 2020 Match 2 of The Resistance: Avalon

Come, join us, play, maybe get stabbed.

Hello there! Is anyone interested in playing in a forum game of Blood on the Clocktower? It’s a social deduction game, similar to the likes of The Resistance, Werewolf, and Mafia (and in my opinion, at least, improves on the design of the latter two by quite a bit). The catch is that it requires a minimum of 7 players (plus me, the storyteller) to run properly.

I’ve never played it, but certainly willing to try.

There are a number of Resistance players here, maybe they’re interested?

@Lantz @rowe33 @CaseyRobinson @Perky_Goth @soondifferent @Snebmi @CraigM @jostly

Who did I miss?

You missed me! :D

I’ll try this, @Lodgium! As long as you swear it’s better than Werewolf, which is perhaps the worst game I have ever played.

Also tagging @Ex-S_Woo and @Thraeg

I really dig Blood on the Clocktower! Count me in.

Super curious to see how this would work in a forum.

You always say ‘no’!

I’m in for some BotCT too. I’m curious how it works.

Thanks, but I’ll pass. Social deduction games always feel more stressful than fun to me.

I do indeed swear that it’s better than Werewolf, perhaps the biggest reason being that it has no player elimination. Everyone can meaningfully (and mechanically) contribute through to the end, even if your character dies halfway through.

I’m in for it.

What I hate about Werewolf is the randomness introduced by stuff like role switching. I know some people dig it, for the lols, but I think it’s a huge waste of time. Does this game have such randomness built in, would you say?

I would say that it does not. The only randomness in the game is what role you are given in the beginning. That being said, there are ways for your role’s ability to malfunction, but they aren’t random and there’s always a chain of logic to follow to figure out who, if anyone, has been given misinformation.

I would love to play!

Thank you, I don’t mind that sort of gameplay at all.

Watching a video about the game, I heard that players can become poisoned or drunk, and therefore not know if the information that they’ve been given is valid. And they don’t know if they are poisoned or drunk. But you’re saying, @Lodgium, that it’s always possible to figure out if you’ve been affected in such a way, if you think about it?

Yes, I am saying that the Good team, by pooling their information, has the ability to figure out who has incorrect information. The Evil team will try to thwart this by lying, of course, but there are only so many ways in which information can be wrong and they can’t randomly appear and disappear, so there’s deduction that can be done to narrow things down.

As a storyteller, I can think of a few situations in which basically everybody has false information of some kind or another, but they are setups that I would have to construct deliberately (and I am not inclined to inflict misery on my players) and even then, there’s a thread to follow if you can establish trust.