The General Aviation Thread

Some people in Boeing executive leadership and management have got to do jail-time for this. This is negligent homicide.

The pilots of a doomed Lion Air Boeing 737 MAX scoured a handbook as they struggled to understand why the jet was lurching downwards, but ran out of time before it hit the water, three people with knowledge of the cockpit voice recorder contents said.

A short article with some background on how the Boeing 737 MAX came to be:

It’s almost like we should have a working FAA or something.

It’s never the de-regulators families that are killed…

United Airlines, which ordered 137 of the planes and has received 14, did not select the indicators or the disagree light. A United spokesman said the airline does not include the features because its pilots use other data to fly the plane.

What an amazing non-explanation. Love it when journalists leave a steamer like that in the table with absolutely no follow up.

Salesman: You’re going to love your new car. One thing. Would you like the options package?

Customer: What options?

Salesman: Nothing too big. Stereo. Whitewalls. Ahem. Brakes.

Well to be fair, its sounds less like brakes were omitted and more like missing a low tire pressure indicator.

Still, everything Boeing and the FAA did with regards to the MCAS is dirty, and it makes you wonder if this is they type of thing that happens all the time.

Under Republicans? Yes.

That’s a silly baseless statement. It’s not like employees in the FAA get fully recycled every time a new president is elected. I would also imagine that an airplane design like the Max8 would take longer to put together than 2 years.

I understand this forum runs deep left but we can’t blame everything bad in this world on Republicans.

But funding is cut under republicans. That’s the root cause of all this. Funding gets cut, and you get regulatory capture.

They forced the FAA to deregulate and move certification of stuff they used to do over to the manufacturer. They do this in many industries. It’s why you have no idea what the heck is in your supplements anymore because no one tests it as manufacturers “self regulate”. But when a 3rd party does test them, they find 2000% of some things and no trace of active ingredients in others. Conservatives and Libertarians are on the deregulate at all costs bandwagon and we always suffer.

So this is directly applicable to those that cut funding for regulation or force deregulation.

Can we please leave the P&R bullshit out of this discussion? Actual fact: Self-certification of the Max 8 began in 2015, during the Obama administration.

Directed by Congress (not Obama) - Republican controlled.

In a discussion about a federal agency and a mega-corp tightly linked to defense fucking the dog?
I wouldn’t count on it.

This isn’t politics. It’s simply a discussion on the consequence of deregulation. That falls under economics in my book.

Everybody wants to call everything politics these days.

Self-certification was first delegated to Boeing by the FAA in 2009 under Obama AND a Democrat-controlled House of Representatives. Enough already.

I thought it started in 2005, when the GOP had control?

https://www.alternet.org/2019/03/heres-how-deregulation-made-flying-more-dangerous/

Try again. Republicans are the ones that did this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+ran+congress+in+2005&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS822US822&oq=who+ran+congress+in+2005&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.3243j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This entire program started in 2005 due to a Republican Congressional mandate to enrich airline industries by relieving them of regulatory hurdles.

The FAA has had problems with Next Gen and everything else forever. This has been going on since at least the 80s. We still use ABCD keyboards and salvage antiquated bullcrap to put in brand new facs.

The program itself started in 2005. Boeing did not receive self-certification authority until 2009.