The General Magic the Gathering Thread

Well, and that’s one of many reasons I’m not a pro player. I thought sure Javier had that one.

“Always play to your outs”. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

Ouch, Embercleave. Didn’t think it was going to be super-good because of the double red requirement, and we did see one game lost to mana requirements earlier by Ken. But mostly it’s just been a beating.

Also, Becca’s outfit today is terrible. Mustard dress, really?

Ken and Lee have to play one another, that sucks. One aggro deck out for sure.

Hmmm. I have 3 Torbrans. Think I know what my next deck is.

Aaaand down goes mono-red. Can’t say I’m sorry.

Yep. Lee’s mono-red only lasted this long because he didn’t play many rounds against the food decks. As far as aggro decks go, I’d much rather have seen Ken’s deck go further. But he lost several games to poor mana base, got stuck against the cavalcade, and that was that. I guess we still have one aggro left, the Gruul deck that Javier is running, and he hasn’t lost yet.

Derpy play there from the Golos player. He took the Krasis when he should’ve taken the Fabled Passage.

I imagine the timer gets into your head.

Javier was crazy lucky there with two land draws off the top, otherwise he’s stuck looking at uncastable Questing Beasts while Golos starts farming the Field. But sometimes, luck is a skill!

They get $75,000 USD a year as a salary, plus whatever prize winnings. I think their travel is paid to tournaments as well. It’s not peanuts, but it’s definitely not huge earnings.

The prize pool for these Mythics Championships is pretty solid, with the MC V’s total prize pool adding up to $750K:

Place Amount
1 $100,000
2 $50,000
3 $30,000
4 $20,000
5-8 $12,500
9-28 $10,000
29-68 $7,500
Total $750,000

Damn, Turn 3 Nissa is just not fair.

Yep, I was crazy wrong about Golos having trouble with the top 8, now it’s in the final. Jean Emmanuel did get lucky to dodge the aggro decks in the early matchups, but going through the food decks was no joke either and he did a fine job. Definitely rooting for Javier in the final, though…anything but Golos!

It took the entire 6 games, but finally the Gruul deck got the draw it needed. Congrats to Javier Dominguez!

Glad that Golos wasn’t the winner, but really impressive showing by Jean Emmanuel with that deck. May be the last time we see it, depending on what they do with the ban list tomorrow.

Guten Tag, Fields of the Dead.

I read the story novel for Throne of Eldraine. It’s really good, assuming you like the fairy-tale fantasy genre. I dislike Oko even more now, if that’s possible. And I’m sad that Linden didn’t get a better card because she’s pretty cool in the story.

Everyone who had 4 Fields (so, basically everyone) gets a nice 4 rare wildcard windfall today. That will definitely come in handy!

Also today, Brawl is an available format. To everyone using Oko as Commander, fuck you.

I just spent most of the afternoon playing around with the new Pioneer format on Xmage, and I’m feeling the pull to go buy some cards to build a real deck. Wish it was available on Arena!

Sure seems like Pioneer is set up to eventually merge with Arena’s Historic. All they have to do is add the entirety of the Pioneer-legal sets instead of just the small selection of “old” cards currently planned. Certainly a much easier lift than doing all of Modern!

Yeah, I understand why they’re not jumping in to implement all those cards right away. It would be a lot of work for an unproven format.

But they do seem to be going full steam ahead on it, with a bunch of upcoming competitions and prize money. Hopefully it makes it’s way to Arena sooner or later.