The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass website is up. No trailers, but some from the few pictures, it looks good.

How the heck are they going to do this trilogy without generating some serious protests? I mean, the first movie not so much, but the next two? Are they just going to gut the whole story and redo it?

I’m trying to avoid spoilers here, but the trilogy is actively anti-religion, Christianity in particular, in pretty much the most dramatic way it could be.

I just hope they do it right and take the controversy with a happy smile.
Otherwise it’ll suck!

Also: Just because some religious nuts in the US will shit themselves over this doesn’t mean the film won’t be produced.

This is awesome. Fantastic cast and I love Chris Weitz as a director.

Teaser trailer with some behind the scenes stuff is up. From the looks of it, they are doing an amazing job.

That trailer gives me the world’s largest erection.

Also seeing Iorek Byrnison made me laugh like a schoolgirl.

Yes, yes, yes!

Big thumbs up for Sam Elliott as Lee Scoresby.

I’m anxious about all the CGI though – not so much for the environments, but for the daemons. They’re powerful symbols in the book partly because they can exist in that space between the written word and the reader’s imagination. It’ll be weird to have them made “real,” and I think it’ll be hard to pull off. The griffin from that Harry Potter movie is the only CGI beastie I’ve seen that hasn’t made me cringe, so I’m crossing my fingers the daemons will at least be on par with that thing.

I was lukewarm on the books, but the movie looks like it’ll be a lot of fun. I’m happy to see anything in the fantasy genre breaking out from the normal wizards and elves stuff.

I feel exactly the same way. I only read the first book, but never understood quite what all the fuss was about – it was an interesting world premise, but the story, and for the most part the characters, were totally “meh” to me. But the movie looks like it could be a lot of fun. Very cool cast, great look, and seems like it will have nice production values and visual effects. Thumbs up.

Looks like it’ll be good. Hoping it will, at least!

Did Colbert write this? Because it looks like a whole lot of polar bear action, and I’m not sure if the polar bear is good or bad.

Didn’t like Gollum?

Gollum was pretty good, but I attribute a lot of that to Andy Serkis and the way they mapped his movement. I think it’s a lot harder to pull off when your subject is an animal. I haven’t seen many convincing CGI animals. The daemons are subtle, too – they’re not Disney sidekicks. Getting them right is a tall order.

I thought the animals in “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” were pretty good, particularly the big cats. Very realistic I thought.

Yeah, those books thoroughly savaged christianity.

Why do studios use CGI instead of models? Is it significantly cheaper and faster to do things that way instead of settling for smaller, less overboard models?

What models are you referring to? Buildings and backgrounds or things like ships?

Oh yeah, really looking forward to this now too.

If they don’t back off from the tone and themes of the books there are going to be some seriously pissed off parents who take their kids to it expecting a Narnia like movie. That being said… I can’t wait. I especially want to know how they’re going to handle some of the stuff in the third book.

If they -do- back off from the tone and themes of the books, there are going to be some seriously pissed off people who go to it expecting … the Golden Compass. And not Narnia.