The Golf Club 2 deserves its own thread. It really is that good.

I mean, can you actually play the game (without real opponents, of course) completely offline.

The first game was online-only. If you weren’t connected, you didn’t get access to any courses.

Ok you bastards. I bought it.

Went through the tutorial and really like the feel of it. Tried to change to full screen and no ultrawide support. BOO. Still, seems like a solid golf game.

Ah! OK.

So I disconnected my modem completely and started the game. It took a little longer to start–I guess the game talking to itself, saying “Offline!”

Then it started and let me play just fine, with a couple of restrictions.

I could only play the 16 or whatever official courses in the game. And no friend ghosts.

But yeah, other than restricting the number of courses you can play, offline play is in.

Cool. I guess I’ll check this out.

Sounds like trig is gearing up to write a review for the front page?

I will say this, the in-game documentation needs some serious help.

Glad to see so many people giving the game a chance.

Is there any progression at all? Cosmetics to buy, houses to upgrade, anything?

Alright, I snagged it, hopefully I’ll have time to dive in today.

I’m pretty sure there is clothing and you can change the look of your clubhouse.

Picked it up on your guy’s enthusiasm. I searched Qt3 and requested the add. I am Cornflakes on Steam.

Played a round and had fun with it. Everything was going good, and then on hole 5 I hit a shot behind a rock, I got frustrated, and everything went downhill from there. Putting is what killed me though, I am having a heck of a time getting the power right.

I look at my stats and I have none. Only career games count towards stats I take it?

My problem though is everything is incredibly blurry. anything more than a couple of yards away looks like it is being seen through a haze. Some times it would clear up, but most of the time it looks like the screenshot below. I guess my 970 GTX is no longer cutting it?

I think there is a depth of field setting. Try turning that off to reduce the blurriness.

The stats and leaderboard stuff in this game seem to be delayed in showing up. One of my scores from yesterday still isn’t showing up.

For putting, go to the green and just get a feel for how far the ball goes without worrying about putting it in the cup. Just pull it back a little and see how far it goes. You don’t need much to go 6 feet.

Ahh, there is thank you. That fixed it. Still what a strange decision, the default looks horrible. I would like some depth of field, just not so it makes everything look blurry.

@triggercut, I think you finish 2 rounds in the time it takes me to finish one. I start up a round and later get a message that you started a round. Then I get another message about you starting a round before I finish my first!

Finished my second round. Had Reemul’s ghost, who is a heck of lot better than I am, but it was fun trying to keep up with him. Have to say I am really enjoying the game so far, thanks for the recommendation guys.

So how should I move out of practice? Should I start a career? How goes that work? Do I make a player and customize it or something? There’s a real lack of info here. I want to play with you guys not start some crazy tournament. Do the ghosts come by default? How do I find courses you guys have ghosts on? Is it enough to be steam friends or do you have to do something else?

You just need to be Steam friends for the ghost to show up. If you press Play, you can filter courses by which ones friends have played. I don’t know if you always get a friend’s ghost or how they do it.

Games played in career mode don’t have the ghosts (I think).

Yep, just start playing a game!

The starter clubs sacrifice distance for being more forgiving on accuracy, and that’s a plus. Go to one of the Medium or Easy courses (the diamond ratings will tell you). Play a round. Someone on your Steam friends list will show up as a ghost.

If you guys find my Sarah Palin golf course online – I imagine it’s pretty popular! – you’re welcome to use it with my blessings.

-Tom