The Good Dinosaur - Pixar's dino movie

This sucked. Bad.

Looks like this is trending to severely underperform at the box office. $200 million production with about $150 million on marketing, according to analysts. It would need at least $500 million to hit its mark, but is trending under $400 million. Not a “bomb” strictly speaking, but a Pixar disappointment.

We watched this, had to use up some free movie coupons from cereal boxes. Definitely on the bottom rung of Pixar movies, though I’d put it over Brave or Cars.

But that is the thing isn’t it, Cars is probably the most loved movie in my house by the kids. They love it, the film, the toys, the cars pretty much everything. Sure as an adult sometimes they arent the greatest but you never know what your kids are gonna like.

heh, that’s funny to me, if Pixar went too “Disney”, because in my mind lately Disney has been going too “Dreamworks”.

My son received a copy of this for his birthday so we watched it together this morning. Not really bad, I don’t know if Pixar makes anything seriously bad, but definitely more on the level of “A Bug’s Life” or “Cars 2” for me. Still, I did enjoy how it turned into a cowboy movie for a while in the middle, because it gave me an image that had me laughing hard that made my family question my sanity. When Arlo meets the T Rex group, and they head out to catch the buffalo, the main T Rex goes, “Yaaaah!” as if he were a cowboy about to flick the reins or spur the horse to ride out but, instead, just takes off running. That just cracked me up.

This was an interesting discovery on Disney+. I had honestly forgotten that Pixar had done some kind of dinosaur movie.

I watched this with my son. Though he lost interest partway through like he does with most things, I stayed interested until the end. Overall, I feel the same way about the movie as I did with Wolfwalkers: I failed to connect with the story on an emotional level, particularly the second half of the movie. The movie needed something stronger. Maybe a more interesting enemy than the pterydactyls, or perhaps a stronger emotional core with its family members, or perhaps more of a development between the human critter and Arlo. So overall, it just felt kind of flat.

My kids have watched it a few times. Definitely just… fine. Not great, not aggressively bad. But inferior to most Pixar as the core emotional beat falls flat. Like the opposite of Inside Out really, which is all core emotional beat.

But some crazy talk here.

And I thought I knew you ;)

This is probably the best part of the movie, I agree.

Yay 5 year late replies!

I always feel like I’ve taken crazy pills because I really like Brave.

Still haven’t seen this Dino one. Might be the only Pixar except for the cars sequels that I haven’t watched.

It is a serviceable kids movie, but probably the least Pixar of the Pixar films.

I’d watch Cars 1&3 over it.

I’ve seen it once, and I have no urge to ever see it again. It feels like there’s not really a point to the story. It’s just…there. Things happen, then the movie ends. The scenery looks amazing, but nothing else appealed to me.

I mean there is a reason I never searched out this thread to talk about the film when I finally watched it with my kids when we got Disney +.

There just isn’t much interesting to say

For what it’s worth, time has tempered my perspective. Both movies are now solidly and equally in the “I don’t remember a single thing about this movie” tier.

I always remember “Brave” as “that movie about the bear”.