The good idea / terrible idea thread...

I’ve long been a fan of rescuing outside one’s own echo chamber to bounce ideas off people. In fact I love sharing ideas.

Some turn out to be good, some bad. Let’s encourage the good ones and give some well deserved but polite critism to the bad ones.

Remember the living room mentality!

I’ll go first. I make boiling water for tea all the time in a stovetop kettle. A few months ago I had the idea to put eggs (still in the shell) in the kettle to hardboil them. It works perfectly.

But is there something I’m missing? I’m assuming the heat and boiling water kills anything on the surface of the egg. I’ve not noticed any flavor change but I drink pretty flavorful tea. Good idea or bad?

I mean I’d wash the shell before putting them in, but otherwise

As a tea snob and purist I think this idea smacks of multi tasking and also sucks eggs.

I mean it’s like eggs and tea I mean apples and oranges.

I love tea, but this is a non issue for me.

Because I hate hard boiled eggs.

Sounds like salmonella-induced illness only really occurs after ingestion of living salmonella bacteria, not just their toxins (e.g., with botulism), so cooking enough to kill any surface bacterial should be sufficient to make this safe. Delicious? That’s up to you!

Once you install an instant hot water dispensor, you will wonder how you ever survived.

Not only can you use it for Tea, but for any hot water needs in the kitchen - instant bullion, hot-chocolate, instant coffee, water to soak noodles in, etc.

No eggs are harmed during the dispensing of such liquid.

That you should be soft boiling them.