The GOP is still morally corrupt, even if Discourse breaks

I think you’re dancing around the subject. You can be a better than a Nazi, you can be a “good person”, and yet still deserve to be confronted for your publicly stated beliefs. Vociferously, even.

Well… you can be better than a Nazi and still not be a good person too. There is like a canyon between Nazi kind of bad and a good person. There are actual murderers rotting in prison right now that we could probably label as better than a lot if not most Nazis (historical).

Yeah, this is exactly what i was saying before. This is why comparisons of a MAGA hat to a swastika are silly to me. If you have a spectrum from good to evil, Nazis are damn near the very endpoint of that spectrum.

I mean, when i was growing up, they were basically the archetype for bad guys.

Citation needed.

Yes, well put.

Differences exist, of course, but there is a gradient of support. There’s voting for someone, there’s contributing to a campaign, there’s buying merch, there’s buying merch and wearing it in public (there is an important difference in those two), there is volunteering for a campaign, there is getting a tattoo of a campaign, and so on. Each one of those steps indicates a greater commitment to the ideals of a platform. For obvious reason wearing a hat is not as dramatic as getting a tattoo. Voting is not as committed as wearing the hat. You get the idea.

But the public act of wearing the campaign symbol in public means something. It sends a signal. And in this case that signal has negative connotations. It is fair to view someone more harshly who is, two years after the election, still wearing the campaign hats. That is not an accident. That signals a priority in your life.

And so, yeah, you wear a red hat I will judge you for it. You are inviting all the negativity coming your way. And if you don’t like it? Freedom of speech motherfucker. You don’t get to complain about it either, given that ‘fuck your feelings’ ‘anti PC’ and calling everyone snowflakes was part of the platform. So, yeah, fair is fair.

Now @Timex just like there is a gradient in severity, there is a gradient in response. Your mention of Nazis isn’t a difference in kind, but of degree. They don’t get the Richard Spencer special, but neither do I think public berating is uncalled for. Now these kids? They didn’t vote, so I think it’s a lighter hand called for, more on the adults in their lives.

But wear a MAGA hat, well, you deserve any public scorn or yelling you get.

So the black Israelites really didn’t do anything wrong then?

And one thing to note here, the maga folks didn’t actually complain about those guys cursing at them. The just kind of took it for an hour.

But we all jumped on the backs of these kids, because we assumed they were harassing some maybe American… And it doesn’t look like they were.

Oh I didn’t say that.

It is entirely possible to deserve the scorn, and yet the deliverer to be in the wrong/ an asshole.

It’s a more broad philosophical ‘they have karmically earned any negative attention they get’ than a ‘every specific instance of a MAGA hat being harassed is always right and good’

Basically the Black Israelites were wrong, but the kids have zero of my sympathy.

No matter what else happened, there were some little shits mocking him with their tomahawk gestures and possibly other crap. Pretty crappy behavior from so-called Christians.

Ok, I can buy this.

As i said, when I see someone with a MAGA hat, i assume they are an asshole. I think poorly of them.

But I generally wouldn’t shout curses at them on the street.

Well it’s not like they were going to grocery store here, and there was just one of them. It’s a big group in political country in the middle of a shutdown coming back from an event based on one of the most divisive topics we have in this country wearing propaganda from a divisive and racist president who hasn’t stopped campaigning and they managed bump against a couple of small groups they don’t appear to have expected to encounter which led them facing the terrible awful experience of being called… names.

Would it be nice if these three groups just kept to themselves… sure, but when you thrust your kids into politics, there’s risk. Everyone involved should be fully aware of that and prepared.

No, but do you think the citizens of the “Germany First” population wanted that in the 1930’s? No, of course not. It was first taking away jewish businesses, then moving them to the ghettos and then, of course, the final solution.

It isn’t like these people believe in genocide any more than your typical white nationalist German citizen did in the 1930’s. Something needed to be done to protect Germany for the Germans, but there wasn’t a clearly visible path forward to “killing all jews”.

So no, I don’t believe that all MAGA hat wearers believe in genocide.

I just believe that they could be talked into it.

And that is what scares me.

I remember when you would get called out for Godwining on the internet. Now it is just politically correct.

Turns out those racist little Hitlerjugend c***s were harassing people all day. Glad I hadn’t spent the evening defending their right to wear racist symbols.

The kids weren’t saintly, they weren’t evil either, they acted like and are…kids. I don’t understand people who target kids. I’m an adult, and have been called pretty much every insulting term you can be called, but I’m an adult and don’t care about such things. Kids don’t know how to deal with strange situations. They don’t know how to defend themselves. To put them through this media circus with famous people calling for their doxxing or even violence against them is something I just can’t understand…can’t forgive. If you hate the President, please direct your hate at him or his adult supporters. Please don’t try to ruin the lives of kids. Disrespect isn’t a crime, and kids should not be punched over it. That is all.

They were brought in by their parents/school administrators, who are the biggest assholes of all in this- because they taught their kids to be shitheads.

Some of those kids might have ended up decent people if they didn’t have that culture of hate to grow up in.

This isn’t a defense of the Black Israelites, who are just as bad, but MAGA hats in themselves are a hate symbol just by their presence.

How do she know they were from Covington? ::Thousands of people attended from many schools/ Blowing up the frames I dont see any identification.

Nah fuck em. 300m people in the USA, care about the ones that aren’t monsters. The world loses nothing if these kids ruin their lives and spend the rest of them washing dishes or wiping our shit off toilets.

Zero tolerance for fascism means just that, zero tolerance.

Wow. Just wow. No point in engaging with that kind of hate. Better things spend my time on.

Bye!

Zero tolerance means middle class, comfortable, healthy, wealthy, privileged males should be chosen as object lessons and singled out. You can’t introduce a culture where fascism is taboo if you decide “boys will be boys” because these evil little shits, these oppressors, are just like you. Fancy empathising with these scum. FFS, no wonder we’re fucked. We have historical precedent where the right wing subvert the youth. We know what happens next. Throw them to the wolves. Sacrifice them for the greater good.

Wearing a MAGA hat means supporting taking kids away from their parents, throwing them into detention centers, leaving some to die, others without the hope of ever reuniting with their parents (they didn’t keep records at the beginning, did they?).

Sure, that isn’t literal nazism, but it’s a difference of degree, not substance.