The GOP is still morally corrupt, even if Discourse breaks

Come on. They’re allowed to wear hats.
They aren’t Nazi arm bands or something.

Don’t wear a MAGA hat and then complain you get insults. If your’e going to wear that, be prepared. They have no business going to a protest if they can’t handle… counter-protesters.

This is every online culture war battle in the modern era. Examine selective evidence that reinforces your POV, make snarky comments online to indicate your virtue, then bask in the self satisfaction that you have rightly earned.

Well, sure… although I’m not sure that wearing a hat means it’s cool for folks to just shout insults at you. I mean, sure, they have the RIGHT to shout insults at you.

But I’m not sure that simply peacefully expressing yourself via wearing a poltiical hat or button or shirt necessarily opens you up to having folks scream at you. I mean, you have a political bumper sticker on your car, or you wear a shirt or something… does that really mean it’s ok for folks to scream at you?

Don’t get me wrong, if I see someone wearing a MAGA hat, I’m gonna assume they are a piece of shit. But I’m not gonna necessarily say anything to them as though they were wearing a swastika or something.

If some guy is just wearing a MAGA hat, and someone else starts screaming at them… I’m likely gonna think that other person is tool as well.

Well that act of going there to make political statements to begin with opens you up to that. If they thought they would bus all these kids to an area to make political statements and not receive any sort of confrontation, then they should bus those kids right back to school and teach them some actual history.

The fact they mixed anti-abortion with MAGA and probably any other random Trump rant didn’t help, but enduring shouts and threats while in a peaceful demonstration during an extremely divisive time in history… I wonder why that sounds familiar.

That seems to be their excuse for this. Four guys yelled at us so we invaded this other guy’s personal space.

The story is a Rorschach test—tell me how you first reacted, and I can probably tell where you live, who you voted for in 2016, and your general take on a list of other issues—but it shouldn’t be. Take away the video and tell me why millions of people care so much about an obnoxious group of high-school students protesting legalized abortion and a small circle of American Indians protesting centuries of mistreatment who were briefly locked in a tense standoff. Take away Twitter and Facebook and explain why total strangers care so much about people they don’t know in a confrontation they didn’t witness. Why are we all so primed for outrage, and what if the thousands of words and countless hours spent on this had been directed toward something consequential?

Reports indicate the Native American guy is the one who invaded their space. Also, four guys yelled awful shit to a bunch of children. But since the children were wearing hats, they had it coming.

I hate having to defend these dopes, but come on people.

So it’s cool for the Black Israelites to have been screaming for hours at the Native Americans too?

See, to me, that’s not really cool. Those guys were assholes.

Eh… I’m not sure that’s really exactly what went down though. It’s what I THOUGHT went down at first, but after seeing later videos, Nathan Phillips walks into them, not the other way around.

If he were standing around and they all got up in his face, then that’d definitely be all on them (although still not because they are wearing hats). But it sounds like that isn’t what happened.

When I first saw all this, I immediately assumed they were the assholes in all this… mainly because they likely are assholes, since they have those hats. But I think a lot of my perceptions of the situation stemmed from my pre-existing bias against the MAGA dorks.

Exactly.

Why do we care so much about a protest that ended peacefully? Depending on what side you are on, there are idiots on one side, and the smart people on the other. People just like being outraged by things. I mean maybe 2018 was different for the rest of y’all but I am kind of out-raged out. I will save the outrage for actual atrocities.

And maybe this should all be moved to another non GOP corruption thread?

Is this a school trip, a sanctioned trip for students to go here under the guidance of adults or not?

I never said that, and shame on you for even implying it.

If it were up to me, children would not participate in political demonstrations like this at all. Adults in their lives made that decision for them and then don’t seem to show up anywhere.

When you go make political statements, you will endure disrespect, insults and threats of violence. What did the adults tell them to do when that happened?

Tell that to the Parkland survivors.

But why is it ok that they were yelling at the MAGA kids, but not ok for them to yell at the Native Americans?

Yeah if I had that kind of control, their friends and family wouldn’t be dead either.

I am under the impression the students are not leading the demonstration which is why the school and church came out and made statements. Am I wrong? Is this a trip created and designed by the kids and they are the active leaders or are they participants?

It’s not okay, but the probability of it happening was very high. So again, what did the adults, the chaperones/leaders of the school group, in this situation tell them to do if they were confronted. If that discussion didn’t happen, the adults were irresponsible; that does not mean they were the only ones responsible for the problem though.

Ok then, I hear you.
That was my point though… that it’s not ok for those guys to yell at the MAGA kids, just because they were wearing MAGA hats.

Meaning, it’s certainly within their rights, legally, to yell at them… but I don’t think that shouting at someone simply for wearing an article of clothing like that constitutes a good action. Certainly there’s a limit here, where I’d have no problem with shouting at someone wearing a swastika. But in this case, I fault the guys shouting at the kids, and do not believe that the kids have equal fault simply for wearing hats.

And again, I think a really key point here is that it does not appear that they were the ones who got up in Nathan Phillips’ face.

I have no idea. It sounds like this was a school-sponsored trip, so I assume the adults were there with at least school instruction to chaperone. By most accounts, the adults did what they were supposed to do; that is, watch the kids and get them out of danger once things got dicey.

Now, whether they should be there at all in MAGA hats and taking on abortion activism is another discussion entirely. One I’d probably agree with you on, by the way.

My issue here is that I saw a lot of people weighing in on this incident and immediately indicting the kids based on still images and 11 seconds of video. When the full video came out, and the facts didn’t jibe with what they had been told, many of those people dug in and refused to acknowledge their mistake. Ironically, much like the opposition that they hate.

Yeah, for a few days those kids got treated like they were not young white men doing something legal, and all the assumptions were against them. It’s not something anyone should experience, but a lot of people do.

I blame the church and the school and the parents for this. Adult groups that do protests/parades that might encounter resistance, confrontation, insults or even violence… good leaders will usually tell them what to do when that happens, prepare them, specific instructions.

If these kids were told going there AND in their MAGA hats and thought it was a guarantee this would be a walk through the park, like skip through a regular field trip, then there were several groups, school, church, parents, TV even their education… that did them a disservice. They were making political statements, multiple ones no matter the original reason or intent for which they went, by wearing those hats and making other statements, and that could lead to something. They should know that, should have known that, before they went.

That 4 guys could derail it that easily. Yeah those guys are jerks, but we’re lucky it was only a small group.

I agree essentially. I put a lot of blame on the parents and school for even hosting this trip, but from everything I can see, (even after the longer exonerating video came out) the school is an ignorance factory. The mom of that one kid is exactly the kind of ass I expect to put their kid in a MAGA hat.

Unfortunately, no one came out of this incident looking good. Not the kids, the chaperones, Nathan Phillips, the Black Israelites, or the media. A faceful of poop for all.

It just disappoints me that so many people were primed and ready to dunk on kids based on hats and a one-sided story of what happened. It furthers saddened me when they refused to admit they were wrong when video showed the full story.

You are kidding right, you actually think people have pre-existing biases against people who wear MAGA hats? My gawd, no way man.

Yea, that was meant as sarcasm. Half this board forum would yell at their grandmother if she wore a MAGA hat.

These guys will never look good. Like someone else said. They hate everyone, and it seems like a literal kind of hate, like don’t want them there but what did he do?

What did he do? Isn’t he the one that tried to diffuse the situation with singing and drums? I mean the worst optics are between him and that kid, but he seems to be the only adult in there that was trying to help.

And no matter what happened. None of these kids deserve death threats. I don’t know what the hell it is with people sending death threats to people with videos and pictures in the news but even more of a reason not to think that kids doing something political will somehow be magically sheltered in this sort of divisive environment.