The GOP is still morally corrupt, even if Discourse breaks

Some of it looks like they are trying to force more healthy versions of food onto people on assistance. While there might be some sliver of intent there that isn’t terrible, it’s mostly fucking terrible.

You want to help people be more healthy?

1. Give them free consultation with a nutritionist to help them shape their diet.
  2. Incentivize more grocery stores that sell healthy food (for many areas, that’s ANY food). Food deserts are real, and it’s like these restrictions are set up to starve people.
  3. Reinstate free school lunches with healthy food for kids

My impression is that most people want to be healthier, but healthy food costs more, takes more time to prepare, and is harder to access. Help people overcome these obstacles, instead of making even more.

This is Iowa. Ain’t no one doing anything for health reasons, especially not Iowa Republicans.

They’re doing it to punish people and keep them from making certain kinds of food (try to make any Mexican dish under these new rules, for example). Also probably influence of various corporate interests.

No fresh meat is crazypants. I get that the idiots don’t want so-called “welfare queens” living it up on ribeyes or whatever, but no fresh meat at all? Hamburger? Cheap-ass pork chops? Chicken? WTF.

That’s by far the craziest part to me. Even at my most charitable, I can’t think of any explanation.

Make people that I don’t like suffer?

It makes more sense when you see the proposal’s co-sponsor:

Slim Jim on whole wheat with a slice from a block of cheddar cheese (you can by the block of cheddar, right?)

I would have figured this bill was sponsored by the king of canned meat product:

They tried to get in on it, but their emails didn’t make it into the inbox, for some reason.

+1. Thumbs up.

Spam is awesome.

Ever had bacon spam?

Fried Spam, eggs, and rice. Power breakfast.

I’ve had Spam, sausage, Spam, Spam, Spam, bacon, Spam, tomato, and Spam. It’s a bit light on the Spam, though.

To me the American cheese part also stood out. It’s not exactly high class food.

Grilled Cheese sandwiches: too good for you peasants.

But we’re talking about something that wouldn’t allow white rice. I’m not sure there is more peasant-associated foodstuff.

Exactly! Are we supporting the Swiss now?! Or them Eye-talians?! Not in my house!

This guy gets it.

They can pry my Velveeta from my warm gooey hands!

Also, here in Australia at least, white bread is the cheapest bread… is this some crazy pants racist thing? “No (literally) white food for you!”

It is actually crazy pants racist stuff. You can buy tinned beans, but not tinned refried beans.