The GOP is still morally corrupt, even if Discourse breaks

That’s his depiction of the events. What did he do? He walked directly towards the kid who was standing there, stood a few inches from his face staring him down, most likely expecting the kid to back off. I don’t know in what way that’s defusing the situation.

You think he made it worse by doing that. I get that. I am just surprised punches weren’t thrown, so I am not sure he did or not. I’m giving him credit for trying. He certainly didn’t go in swinging. At worse that optic of it was bad, but that’s as much on the media as it is him.

You’re giving him credit just because he didn’t punch a child? That’s a pretty low bar. The optic was bad, but I don’t know how that’s on the media. He was 100% the one who initiated that particular confrontation with the boy.

I guess if anyone comes out looking good here though, it’s him, because a lot of the media took his “defusing the situation” line and reported it as the truth.

No. And shame on you for implying something you know I did not say nor did I mean. I’m not putting up with this shit anymore, in case that’s not obvious.

I’m giving him credit because I think he intended to calm the situation down, whether he did or not. He came between two hostile groups which may have been in escalation mode.

What’s the difference? Both are symbols of your philosophy or politics, right? Why is it OK for them to wear a MAGA hat (with all that means) but not a Nazi armband?

Holy shit I know! My first reaction when I see stories like this is to be mad, but honestly I am sorry this kid had to grow up with such a shitheel for a parent. How are you not supposed to be an asshole when you take your moral cues from someone like that.

Is the kid a gorilla rather than a rational human being? I mean, I get why a gorilla wouldn’t rethink their situation.

Nazis murdered millions of people?

So you’re saying we have to wait for a repeat?

Nazis have a special place in history. We don’t get to imagine what they would do in power and what happens when you try to make nice with them. There is no doubt about Nazis, not about their intent, their limits or their methods. It also recent history and direct history to this country. Don’t mix MAGA, Trumpsters, and kids in MAGA hats as the same as Nazis even though there are Nazis in that group.

Well, one rounded up a bunch of familes and seperated them into camps for processing and the other… wait what was the question?

Sure, but I’m not waiting for racist bigots to actually act in that fashion before saying we should publicly deplore and shame their racist emblems.

Edit: By ‘ok’, of course I mean it’s legal for them to wear whatever they want, and should be. But freedom of expression is available to everyone, and expressing contempt for racist symbols is appropriate.

Yes, you cannot equate people you don’t like with Nazis merely on the basis of you imagining that they might do bad things at some point in the future.

Shame on me for taking the justification “he certainly didn’t go in swinging” for drawing such a conclusion from your argument. Go ahead and explain to me how what he did deescalated the situation in any way.

I don’t equate them. The KKK never killed 6 million people, so am I not allowed to publicly deplore white sheets and hoods?

You’re right. The answer to what happened with the Nazis is not rinse and repeat. You’re also right to be on the look out for the rise, and we’re seeing it when they march down our actual roads, like they did, but that’s not this group. I think you’re a little premature to equate MAGA with that just yet, and I am skeptical it will reach that level, ever. It just goes to show though whether or not you’re marching for abortion or anything else, MAGA itself is a advertisement for a lot of deplorable beliefs, and in this environment, that is a recipe for confrontation. Which is why I think this group went up there completely unprepared, without due diligence and is too eager to blame others for that.

No. You are not interested in what I have to say or you would have read what I actually said. You don’t like this guy. Have at it. I don’t need to participate in that.

You asked what the difference was, suggesting that there was none, or that at least you did not recognize what that difference was. Unless your question was rhetorical, but your follow up suggests that also is not the case.

The KKK committed other horrific atrocities, like lynching and murdering thousands of people with the explicit goal of enforcing racial and ethnic purity.

I don’t have any opinion of the guy, I just don’t see how getting in somebody’s face is a way to bring calm into a tense situation.

You’re going to have to make some kind of scale for me. I can deplore Nazi symbols because they killed a lot of people, and I can deplore KKK symbols because they killed fewer people, but I can’t yet deplore MAGA symbols because what? Because they’ve only caged children?