The GOP is still morally corrupt, even if Discourse breaks

I asked what the difference was when it came to deploring the symbology.

Hey dude, Iā€™m the wrong guy to ask for a defense of MAGA idiots.

But at the same time, i know they arenā€™t the same as literal Nazis or the KKK.

And youā€™re being too literal, which is kind of funny coming from me, because going in swinging is not a literal term and it would be different if he got into this kids face and did a staring contestā€¦ but heā€™s singing, a specific song even.

Telefrog is right, or at least his article is, the optics of this is uniquely formed by someoneā€™s background. Itā€™s like a perfect storm for viewing.

I believe Nathan Phillips thought he was doing something good for good reasons. I can see that the guy might be one of those earnest folks that thinks drumming is a peaceful and not at all threatening way to drown out shouting. I can also think heā€™s wrong and that he doesnā€™t understand how that can seem like an aggressive move by some in the heat if a protest exchange.

He did himself no favors by lying/mishearing/misinterpreting what he heard from the kids.

Hereā€™s the problem with 2019. Not even now can everything be recorded from all angels at all the time. Just ask the sportā€™s groups about the calls they donā€™t like, and thatā€™s a controlled situation.

I donā€™t know what he heard. No one can really know but him, but thereā€™s no evidence he went in there to make it worse. If he wanted that, he could have done a dozen different things to ensure that happened.

Whatā€™s the evidence that he was lying / mishearing / misinterpreting what he heard from the kids?

As far as the hats go, anyone wearing a MAGA hat two years into the Trump presidency knows exactly what theyā€™re looking for by wearing that hat. And it isnā€™t some peaceful Make America Great Again bullshit. Itā€™s not just a hat anymore; itā€™s a hate symbol.

This is correct.

No, #MAGA hasnā€™t killed millions of peopleā€¦ yet. But at their core, Miller / Bannon are just as evil as Hitler.

The hour-long video. And yes, I watched the whole thing because this incident is fascinating to me.

Yes, Iā€™m interested in what specifically Philips got wrong.

Hereā€™s his CNN interview.

Well, the MAGA hat is a symbol for Trump. And Trump is all about maintaining plausible deniability with the racism, no matter how galling and overt it actually is. I think a lot of folks wearing the hat want to maintain the same plausible deniability. Anyone who still thinks itā€™s a benign thing to wear is naive at best and evil, obviously.

They were at a political rally. Theyā€™re allowed to wear clothing that supports their political views.

Iā€™m sure their message is out there loud and clear now. Obviously they should have done nothing differently.

So wearing a swastika to a political rally is okay too? I mean if thatā€™s their political view?

We want the Nazis to wear swastikas. Itā€™s how they self identify. By all means, let the Nazis wear their propaganda. I encourage it.

No, because Nazis are fucking different. We already covered this.

You guys understand how Nazis are fucking different, right?

Of course. But you understand how itā€™s more complicated than that, right?

Everyone is allowed to wear clothing that supports their political views. Itā€™s not about ā€˜allowedā€™.

Nazis arenā€™t allowed to wear clothing that supports their political views?

I mean Nazis didnā€™t jump right into the gas chambers, did they? Didnā€™t it start with German pride and anti-Semitism? Hatred of those different from them? A leader that somehow knew how to motivate and control his rabid following? Havenā€™t we discussed the parallels ad nauseam on the forums already? But theyā€™re fucking different. How so? This is how it began.

My point is simply that a MAGA hat is a symbol just as a swastika is. They have meaning. Obvious meaning.