The Great 2021 "Pardon Me" Poll

Will he or won’t he. We’re running out of time. Stake your position now.

• Trump will pardon himself
  • Trump will not pardon himself

0 voters

I had to reset the poll to fix the poll-closing time. Re-vote if you had already voted.

Either way, I say “yes,” because Trump’s Razor wins every time.

I was thinking he totally would have, but I figure he and I heard the argument around the same time in the last few weeks that pardoning himself would open himself up to civil suits as large as his hands are tiny.

I only think he’ll pardon himself if it is accompanied by a multi-warhead nuclear strike on DC Wednesday morning just after Air Force One goes wheels up.

I voted that he wouldn’t because that would be admitting that he had done something wrong and I don’t think Trump’s ego would allow himself to do that. He has gone through life getting away with everything so why would a person like that even need a pardon?

Sure, the lawyers are telling him not to. But when does he ever listen to the lawyers? They might rebuff him for a while, but eventually his lizard brain will shut them out. And I’m sure that lizard brain is screaming at him his pardon power is going to disappear in T-Minus 48 hours… T-Minus 47-hours… etc.

I’m voting yes because it’s both self-serving and stupid and that is a summary of the man himself.

Another point: after he was elected, there was an attempt to teach Trump the Constitution in a crash course, and by all reports he blew it all off… except for the Pardon power, which he took a very great interest in.

I think he’s been obsessing over it for four years.

He’ll do it, he’s been wanting to do it for years. Whatever advice he’s getting to not do it will be angrily discarded in the next 24 hours.

I think he should not, for reasons of self interest, but that he always does what he should not, so he will.

Might be accurate, might not. Anyone predicting what DJT will do tomorrow at this point is a fool.

Doesn’t he have to enumerate the charges for which he is pardoning himself? No way he gets them all.

Nope. The Nixon pardon was for any crimes that may have happened during a date range.

He does not.

I voted no because I really believe he’s fully invested in this delusion that he has done nothing wrong.

I’m in the camp of “it would be dumb for him to pardon himself, so that’s probably exactly what he’ll do.”

There should be a “will try to but somehow fail” option. It’s entirely possible he’ll want to but the people he’d need to write it up just avoid him for a couple of days.

this.gif

This is exactly my train of thought.

The real problem with pardon power is that not that it’s real but that Trump probably doesn’t exactly know how to word it to shield himself from all liability possible.

That is he’s probably hesitating because he wants to escape all forms of liability, financial and legal, and at all levels, city, state and federal and needs a very complicated and legalese pardon

When he issues a pardon for himself and his family it’s going to be the one document his administration has actually spent more than 4 minutes writing and will probably be like 50 pages long enumerating all the legal categories he’s issuing a blanket pardon for.