The Great Like Experiment of 2017

Since hyperlinks show how many people have clicked them, I figured we’d eventually get to a point where the like-lovers circumvented the system by putting their own like button into each post they made.

+1 LIKE :)

That’s pretty clever.

There’s some truth to it, isn’t there? As the summary feature will feature liked posts more than unlocked?

Ps i like likes

Possibly, but this setting has been like this since last summer…

I don’t think there’s any reason to be concerned about that. The only place it might happen is if you use the aforementioned Summarize feature, which, frankly, I haven’t even thought about in a year or so.

You are correct in your dislike. One of the ‘How do I Discourse’ threads explains how to turn off avatars via browser extension trickery which is what I use and am quite happy with.

And so long as we can do the same trickery for Likes, I don’t care if they are on cause I’ll never have to see them. I already know my responses are correct and don’t need Trumpian ego stroking ;)

Found it: Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X? - #901 by Daagar

So says the guy with the muppet avatar ;)

I know - I have them hidden, but still felt compelled to have one for the folks that do use them :)

Also Jim Henson Muppets > *

My avatar is literally The Avatar. So there!

That linked solution is pretty smart. Most people are probably running some kind of ad blocker at this point and a custom rule to remove styles is clever and useful for many. I like it.

I appreciate it. I like to see avatars and that you’re doing that for those of us who are using them is nice.

I might be way more excited about this than a reasonable person should be and am thus reluctant to ask this question. But ask I must! What time tomorrow are likes being enabled?

I"m going to guess it’s ‘when tom gets up’ o’clock? :)

Sorry, I couldn’t resist posting some like bait to your question abidingdude.

heh, now that I think about it, if I were a betting man, I’d bet on some time tonight (2:45am?)

I do kinda hate seeing people.

But I’m pro-avatar, because they actually improve usability. I can recognize who’s posting at a glance by their distinct avatar without reading their name.

Pretty straightforward reason. (emphasis mine)

@stusser Right the first time.

I am very pro avatar as well, for that reason. It’s also really fun because for BSG games a number of people have also used them to flag their character, which helps me too ;)

Yeah, I find avatars useful because I can much more readily associate a “face” than a name to somebody. Also, it amuses me that some posters think of me in context of Zoidberg.

I’m not sure why I dislike avatars - I think I’m just old and find it distracting, since I’m here for text (mostly). Also, I’m really bad with names, and avatars make it that much worse for me - I start only knowing people by their avatar and not their name at all. Which sounds silly because many of us are using aliases anyway, but… whatever. Also, I’m totally hypocritical in my dislike for them, because there are other places (not forums) where I think they make sense and have their place.

No, it’s not, actually.

/backs away slowly from thread