The Great Like Experiment of 2017

Tom’s post was tl;dr so was there any official policy regarding YGG in the future? Because I think I actually prefer that to likes.

I would argue that the Something Awful forums are (or at least, were) massive and have never had likes or upvotes of any kind, and in most of the subforums, there is reasonable, interesting, productive conversation. The trick is, they charge for access, they aggressively moderate, and they have dedicated subforums for being terrible.

Except, demonstrably, a majority of people here either don’t like likes or don’t care about them. That’s hardly everyone.

I won’t mix those two groups together. Rather, a more accurate statement would be a plurality of people who cared enough to participate liked likes, while a small group did not, and an even smaller group of people didn’t care either way. Sadly, @tomchick was not fond of likes, so here we stand.

That’s funny, because a majority of people like likes or don’t care about them too!

Yer all a bunch of shit bonerz anyway.

And yet, that’s not relevant to the claim that “everyone” likes them, which is wildly untrue.

Not really wildly untrue. Probably enough to win an election in America.

It’s hyperbole, but since more people lean towards liking likes than not liking likes it’s more accurate the saying that no one likes likes.

And yet, no one has said the latter.

No one likes likes!

There, I said it.

I’m finding that me being angry approximates other people being drunk.

Listen, we all knew the outcome from the start. It would take a super majority liking likes to move the needle. Instead, we had only a plurality of individuals.

It’s nice that we got a trial though. In some places they don’t even have trials for the verdict has been read.

@malkav11 secretly likes likes the most.

I feel like practically everyone planted their feet in their established preconceived notions and then held them.

Not being completely fair, of course. Just mostly.

Indeed, I planted my flag for complete apathy early on and I was not budged.

I had nothing to do with Tom’s decision other than offering my comments in this thread now and then. Glad to see you are as graceful as you have ever been.

Count me in the not surprised but disappointed camp. The vocal minority made their points again and again and again and again and again and again. I felt like I was watching cable news.

The silent majority looks to be more or less apathetic to the entire ordeal and it most likely escaped their attention.

QT3 will keep on being QT3, and despite what Tom and others say I’m just not going to respond like you want me to. I don’t have that much time, nor inclination because a lot of the time I’m behind 100 posts and I rarely will take a minute and disrupt the flow of what is happening in the thread. Nothing you say is going to change my ways, but likes would have let me given a few strokes now & then to people who I think put up thoughtful posts.

I realize my way of using likes does not align to your fears of how you think people would abuse them and I’m just a little disappointed you have such a negative view of how you believe people would have used these.

@Tman said exactly what I was thinking. I would have just liked his post, but here we are. Life goes on.

Seconding your liking of his post, would’ve liked yours too. Ah well, you go girls.

This thread feel like these epic fantasy worlds where the world is shaped by a epic magic war that happened in the past.

You may like likes or you may hate likes. But there’s something people on both sides have to agree “likes” are powerful.

And Plain Text has won this magic war in particular. Is like a magic war where humans won (not angels, orcs or pixies, but mere humans). is always weird when the humans (of all races) end winning. But is happy. Plain Text is the weakest form of communication, the one that need more protection, but is also the one with more potential.

A magical land of leprechauns, druids and… no wait, that was The Troubles.