The Great Like Experiment of 2017

Yes, down with experiments! Those always end badly!

You think you’re betta than me, college boy? With your MATHS and your SCIENCE?

God dammit it’s been proven that the English are doing it wrong and it’s actuall MATH not MATHS. /shudder. This essentially means they forfeit the right to their own language (for further ref: see Geordie).

Here on spain kids say “mateS” for “matematicaS”

Is kind of weird but beautiful to consider math not a single thing, but a bunch of different things. I kind of like it.

Too bad the lady say that people say “Maths is fun”, so people don’t actually consider a group of things :(

I wish you’d stop bringing up this “Spain” place. There is no such place.

Top-right part of the map.

And if there was it would be ‘in’.

Yep. French uses Les maths, standing for Les mathématiques.

Obviously, the old world knows best.

When did this turn into a Narnia thread?!?!

Maths are fun.

Yeah, I mean I already knew how it would end.

Thankfully over here in the “I don’t give a shit” camp, it’s not a big deal, but I still wonder why we even did it.

For members of that camp!

If you know anything about me, you’d know that I love experiments. I also hate poorly designed ones with a priori conclusions.

Just for complete disclosure, I stayed out of this for the most part to not weight the data. (Some of you may have noticed that I post a bit.) I gave two Likes during the Great Experiment. I don’t remember to whom or for what. The first was just to try it, and the second was probably in a joke exchange. My apologies to the people I gave them to, if you think it’s rude that I don’t remember. I promise it’s not a valuation of your posts. I only gave two Likes because I found them redundant. I’d rather just post a response and engage than just click a button.

Anyway, I’m additionally sorry to anyone that felt cheated by outcome of the Experiment. I’m sure it wasn’t Tom’s intention to giveth and taketh away as some sadistic joke. I think he really was interested in the community response. That said, I’m also pretty glad for his decision.

I mean, yeah? That is the part I quoted after all…?

EDIT - Oh, I see, you changed @tomchick’s text from “likes” to “replies”. Hilarious.

It isn’t, really. It’s tiresome.

Tom, I appreciate your taking the time to explain your reasoning behind your decision. I do, however, have a question that I hope you can answer:

What outcome or result could this experiment have had that would have actually convinced you to enable Likes? Was there something specific (that you were looking for, or was it more a wanting to get a general sense of what things would look like with them turned on? Or something else entirely different.

I, of course, accept your decision as part of the price of hanging out in your living room, but I wouldn’t mind having a bit more detail on the process itself. Why? Because I’ll be honest, I kind of got invested in Likes a bit. I’m one of the people that actually came away with a very positive experience of the whole thing, having learned that my usually reply-less posts still garner a modicum of interest. You talked about people entering into a state where they might have fewer likes than someone else and being disturbed by that. I’ll be frank: there were times in the past where I felt that way just from lack of replies to posts that I considered pretty decent in terms of information or presentation. I spoke of a sense of shouting into the void, and Likes reduced that quite a bit. It was a small thing, and I will easily go on as before without them, but it was something all the same.

As I replied to your sentiments before saying I felt the same way, I will reply to this saying that I feel the same way.

I think everyone feels that way. Except @Telefrog but he’s very prolific! :) No but seriously, that’s everyone feels that way about any post they make, especially the ones designed to inform or be entertaining.

Thanks for saying that, and maybe it’s true. But I suspect some of the “rock stars” of Qt3 (your example of @Telefrog is good) have a stronger sense of posting self-worth! And of course, I strongly suspect that @tomchick rarely if ever feels it when posting here, which is why he might not quite get why it made a difference to me.