The Great Like Experiment of 2017

You know what? Great point. I have had this happen to me many times, where somebody here sends me a PM to say that what I said was really meaningful to them, or to say, “Hey, I hope you guys are okay.” Or whatever. And it is always makes a difference to me.

I’ve also had people reach out in a PM to say, “Hey, you’re a good guy, I think you might want to pull back on this.” And that kind of personal touch made me step back and examine what I was saying. In fact, I’ll never forget the time @kerzain reached out to me to gently tell me, “Be nice,” when I’d gone a bit too far. And he was totally right.

So, great point jostly.

-xtien

I don’t know about removing mod rights, but I’ve seen this done a few times by wumpus, and I think it’s jarring and rude. There is no reason to decide to close and/or move conversations topics just because he likes it better that way.

What a weird reaction. You know that reads totally like a child yelling, “Fine!” and walking away with his ball. You know that right.

It can’t be that much data. What a weird and petty reaction. But do what you’re gonna do.

At any rate, since you have all that data, I will have to cede the point to you. I don’t actually think it’s scientific evidence. It’s a pretty silly looking poll. But in fairness, since you’ve actually accumulated data and…

Wait. I almost ceded the point and then I realized that is the goofiest poll I have ever seen. And I love it! “Feeling mad feels” is hilarious! But seriously. You’re really gonna hang your hat on that as evidence to support your point? I’m sure any number of people could craft a “poll” to support mine too. Come on, wumpus. Be gracious. Both ideas are valid.

This is meaningless, however when it comes to my point. Geez, wumpus. Why can’t you be gracious on even a single point? I don’t get it.

Likes don’t forward the conversation, whatever your manufactured poll about the intentions of the Likers might suggest.

I don’t understand why you don’t read the actual words people write. I like Likes just fine. As I have said many times, and again, you just ignore for whatever reason you ignore things. I just think your analogy is totally off base. And you cannot even cede that point.

Look, I’m fine with Likes. They are about validation. And that is fine. But they don’t add anything beyond that. So my original point, that your analogy with real physical conversations is broken, stands.

And please don’t lecture me on Meryl Streep movies.

-xtien

“If what I think is happening, is happening…it better not be.”

I think that is completely overkill. I have sent PMs to people to say thanks etc, but it is the equivalent to the thank you email. I appreciate the sentiment, but I don’t need a special message saying so. Likes are perfect for that, since you only see them if you care to look. It’s a non obtrusive way of expressing it.

I get what you’re saying, Razgon, but I feel the need to defend Wumpus on a couple of points.

Firstly, he has admin rights here because he is hosting the software for us. Those rights are necessary for technical reasons. Second, and more importantly, he’s been respectful of the fact that he’s not a moderator. From way before we switched over to Discord, he’s made is clear that he’s happy to leave decisions to me, stusser, clay, telefrog, etc., and although he might disagree with the decisions, he has never contradicted them as an admin.

As to your concerns, unless I’m overlooking something, I think you’re overstating what’s happened. I can think of two instances when he used his admin abilities to do something he thought was helpful – once regarding a spammer, and the other time splitting off part of this thread to give it space to develop as a standalone conversation – and in both instances, he immediately deferred to me when I said I preferred hands-off approaches instead of more direct moderation. If you don’t trust his admin privileges, would it help if I told you that I trust his admin privileges?

I think the real issue is that he can be very, um, forceful with his opinions. Or, as you put it, “annoying ass”. :) But he means well, and I’m convinced he is the way he is because he cares about this community.

-Tom

I’m far away from Wumpus’ position on likes but, as a developer, that makes total sense to me. It’s effectively obsolete data for a feature that’s not used on this forum anymore. It’s always a good policy to not let trash data sit around. It keeps your database more tidy and it can’t have unforeseen consequences 5 years down the line when everybody has forgotten​ about it.

Thanks for the detailed reasoning, Tom. The quote above really cuts to the heart of the issue I have with likes too and is why I’m quite happy to live without them on this forum.

I realise the enabling likes then taking them away has created some Investment into them for some. But I hope we’ll all soon get used again to the classic Qt3 conversation mode.

Wendelius

I do know that a forum poll != a survey, but…

So 43 users voted.

According to boingboing they had 3,3k active users over the past month:

I’m not going to speculate whether or not the 43 that chose to participate in this poll can be considered a biased sample, but I am not sure if the sample size is large enough to be considered evidence on which to make generalized statements. I am sure there are people with statistical chops far better than mine* that can weigh in on this?

*= That is, at all.

Ah. Thank you for clarifying this, Wendelius.

@wumpus: I withdraw that criticism and apologize for putting it that way.

-xtien

NMTheres a way to make forum software more social and more personal. It takes a bit of effort but I hope I can show some of that in the future.

Like… theres no reason changing a thread title is a invisible thing and not some sort of special post. And allow old post to live under the old thread title somehow.

And many more things like this that lands in the page in a visible way things that are normally ignored or exist only on the head if humans.

A thread need landmarks, places. Literally. Stuff like changing a thread title is/should create a landmark. Something like doing git tag 1.0 in gitspeak.

I am considering if timezones sould be considered, making post made at night graphicallly different that post made at 11:00 am.

Post made from a phone/may should be labeled as “foo posted from a phone…”

Ugh no. That’s like the annoying and noisy Tapatalk signatures. Where you posted from is not really relevant data to the reader.

It dont need to be part of the post, only context given yo the reader. It can be a icon on the margin. Is similar to flag post in the night. It gives information on the conditions suffered by the person posting.

But is only a exampla and maybe a bad one. Of course only the relevant information need to be frontloaded.

Face it, you just want to be able to blame your phone for spelling errors.

Which I totally have done myself.

Its your world, so you are of course free to do what you will. And yeah, he is less diplomatic at times than most - its not the first time I’ve noticed this kind of behaviour, and not the second either - hell, he even edited one of my thread titles because he just felt like it once as well - its a pattern by now as I see it.

its not the deal breaker though, and its your house as I said, so - no worries/issues.

Oh, no. These are 100% my fault.

Theres like 3 circles, each other inside the other. ring 0, ring1, ring2. ring0 is what we do with forum software. ring1 is what we can do with forum software but we have not tried yet (or somebody tried, but we forgot), and ring2 is what is impossible.

I want to explore ring1. I believe there are better social features in ring1 than the “like” button.

This is a helpful way for anyone to find out for sure if they are an asshole. :)

EDIT - Gah, I had to remake that gif, I forgot the stupid closed " at the end of the thing.

I totally agree with you here.

I’d also add that ‘Likes’ in Quarter to Three would not exist in a vacuum-- they would be partly defined by the ‘Likes’ that exist in other social media contexts.

Likes need context, which is why I like to include a note - I liked that post because, thing. Anything else is vaguely creepy.

I think you don’t understand the meaning of the word ‘vaguely’.