The Great Like Experiment of 2017

I never said there was going to be a vote. We’ll have a month on, a month off, and then see how things stand. I don’t think a vote was ever even mentioned, and if I gave that impression, my apologies. This isn’t necessarily a referendum. That’s how we get Brexit and Trump presidencies!

-Tom

Ha ha, apathy wins again!

Will we have a vote to decide if we have a vote?

I say we should vote on that.

How about we draw a name from a hat, and that person gets to vote. And the person that is voted can flip a coin deciding whether likes get to stay.

No, they’re noting that in a couple weeks, during which some people haven’t even noticed the feature is on, likes have not noticeably changed the interactions of a community with well over a decade of built up history. That is not remotely the same thing as proving that they don’t affect conversations, nor even that they aren’t currently in the process of affecting conversations. Frankly, I would have been shocked if they had had a noticeable effect in such a short time. But we can certainly look at other online social hubs that have had long term use of likes and notice that hey, people don’t use their words as much. Or in some cases, like social media, pretty much at all.

Well said.

This place is not a social media site, so no problems there.

It’s a community and people talk in it. I don’t see the difference.

Really?

I found that’s my main use for them also. I asked questions about a game, got a number of good responses and liked all the posts. I thanked everyone collectively but would have been overkill to thank everybody collectively, likes serve that purpose well.

I’m still having a sour taste in another forum about them, so I’m still very ambivalent about keeping them.

I read a like like a nod during a conversion. It’s not a rating or something, it’s just something that happens while your talking. And if you’re addressing someone directly it can be a really efficient and natural way to see they saw the post.

Social media is the extreme end, but let’s not assume there are no points of commonality just because there are meaningful differences that also contribute.

I like it. Democracy. One man, one vote.

This is a bit much.

Read the part immediately after your out-of-context quote:

-Tom

So far I am enjoying the likes. It’s nice to see the appreciation on a well crafted posted.

Many of my posts don’t warrant a full “I like what you said, and I appreciate it”. I like that some people think they warrant an acknowledgement though.

It’s up to the individual to decide whether every good post requires a long response or if a nod of a appreciation is a more appropriate response. More choice in how to respond positively is not a bad thing.

You want to see a real interesting system? Go to RPGCodex. They have about 20 different emojis there. Some are just fucked up. After a while there a simple like will seem like the height of clarity. :)

Likes are turned on? Jesus…why?

Sure it is, when not all responses are equal. Like I say, I’d far rather get one “Well said.” than a dozen likes, but I’m far more likely to get the dozen likes if that’s an option, because it’s easier. And actual replies sometimes lead to a continuing conversation, whereas likes don’t.