The Great Like Experiment of 2017

Which is one of the biggest reasons I consider likes fundamentally meaningless. They don’t convey information. There is no context that would allow them to do so. At best, because they’re called likes, you can maybe guess they were meant as some sort of vague positive sentiment. But you don’t know if the person that clicked that button just clicks it on anything they read, or if they really loved your post, or if they accidentally tapped it while trying to scroll by on mobile, or if they were being ironic, or…

Words do that. Are they always valuable? No. But at least they attempt to communicate.

Again, with feeling, it has been less than a month and there are still people that have no idea likes were even turned on.

So do you actually have data or just your observational skills for about a month? It sounded like you were demanding more than that from others when you asked for data.

This kind of highlights how little impact they have either way.

That’s sort of how I feel about it. On other forums, they may mean more, but here they’re just a button on a post that most people, most of the time, are going to scroll right on past.

Again, I think a few weeks is far too short a time to tell.

Cause something that people didn’t even notice for weeks, is suddenly going to cause them to totally change their pattern of behavior.

Totally, no. In aggregate, over time, quite possibly. Habits don’t change in a couple of weeks.

You’re right all the guys and gals on QT3 will somehow be immune to the influences that affect all other humans. We’re so super human here we should build a hero team. Any team name suggestions?

Not to detract from the waxing philosophical, but is there a way to turn off notifications of likes? By which I mean the number over your avatar icon in the upper-right. I much prefer keeping that as an indicator that someone has actually replied (potentially meaning I need to reply back - or nod or hug or post a meme or sick burn or whatever). While I’m happy to get likes or whatever, that isn’t something I necessarily need a notification on - no action need be taken.

EDIT: Also, I think the team name should be Quarter To Three. It sounds catchy.

Yup. There’s a setting called “Notify when liked”, and you can set it to “Never”.

How about Go To Bed Already!

Dammit, I don’t have anything to gripe about if the option already exists! Thank you - I had overlooked it (thinking it would be in the ‘Notifications’ section).

That was bugging me too, thanks. I no longer have any objections to likes. I guess I never really did, it’s just fun to argue.

Sure. The Shut Up and Sit Down forums use a much less modified version of Discourse. They’re smaller and less active (especially since more attention is given to the comments on front page posts than the forums, which haven’t been around as long), and I’ve been a member for a much shorter time, so it’s not a perfect comparison. But I’ve posted there 48 times in the last couple months and I’ve received any sort of verbal response ~5 times according to my notifications, while I’ve received 50 likes. I think those numbers are a disgrace, personally.

No that’s the base.

It’s Saturday and not even 1AM.

Goes with the theme - it’s quarter to three, go to sleep already!

So the alternative would probably be 5 responses and nothing else? I mean, you could assume more people would respond to you if the forum didn’t have likes, but I very much doubt it.

I hate likes and this experiment even more now that it reminds me of the ratchet effect of government spending.

615 posts later, Nixxter remembers having seen this thread, returns, and turns off the lights, nary a like.