The Great Like Experiment of 2017

What data?

Also, I would cool it with trying to rope in people who don’t like “like” buttons with fundamentalist bigoted christians.

You seriously need to check your attitude about this.

I dunno man. That’s making the assumption that the post is something I would normally respond to instead of just nodding my head or softly chuckling to myself.

Good gravy, this forum can throw down over ANYTHING.

That’s oddly reassuring for some reason.

Surely this energy spent on The Great Like Debate can be better used to generate clean power somehow.

I think that one of the things which highlight how likes will have no real impact either positively or negatively, is that this thread contains virtually all of the likes given by everyone on the forum, and they’re almost all directed ironically.

HA, was thinking the same thing.

Ok who wants to watch the cagematch fight between Wumpus and Stusser over likes? Make it Qt3 PPV, and I’d throw in ;)

Ok so why should that matter to me? How others choose to communicate is their right. If they have words they want to add to the conversation, great. If they dont but choose to express agreement with a “like button” that’s fine too. A like button is not an apocalyptic forum doom button, where the more its used the closer to total annihilation we get. If it serve some purpose to you fine, if it doesn’t ignore it. How the hell is it not just that simple? Though to be honest I do think we need an apocalyptic forum doom button! Now that would be useful.

I’m sure the reason FB and other sites have like buttons is simply to improve communication, it isn’t at all because it’s an easier data point to track, it’s a constant way to bring people back to your site throughout the day to see all your new likes, it’s so effortless you don’t even have to think about what message is being conveyed or your response to it, and they spent millions on research not all to improve their commercial validity and sell more ads.

We can do whatever Tom likes on this board, but let’s not pretend that these companies introduce these features just out of the goodness of their heart.

I also don’t think a shallow experience equates to no impact at all. For the most part, it’s a shallow experience but it’s easy so people will use it when you introduce it… always.

So is there a place I can look to see how many total likes everyone has, so I know who is the most likable person on QT3?

https://forum.quartertothree.com/u?period=all

Why, it’s @Timex, of course!

Click on “Users” in the top right. That’s actual data.

Because I come to this forum to have conversations, exchange ideas, and so on, and likes fuck with that interaction, even if I never personally use or look at them. (as indeed, I haven’t here.)

Looks suspiciously at our cephalopod friend

Yes indeed Timex. Armando pay no attention to that noise in your kitchen. It’s just… ants. Not a highly trained crew of people who will destroy all photographic evidence of your cooking exploits.

Well @Timex might have the most likes but very stingy in giving them. You’re at the top of his list though @ArmandoPenblade.

Our top givers, sadly, are getting very few in return.

I was kidding, but I guess it really is a thing.

Likes gamify conversation. Of course there’s a leaderboard!

My main problem with likes is that I have seen too many forums where likes/dislikes become almost a weapon used against some members. I don’t see that happening here as this forum (while politically mostly left) isn’t that strongly oriented in any one direction. Plus there are no dislikes. Nothing is worse than a site that features dislikes.

Yes, it’s really ridiculous to have a leaderboard. What is the point of that?

It really does look as if likes are being used as data to drive user behavior.

Calling bullshit on that leaderboard - it says I’ve given one like and I’m positive I’ve given at least a half dozen. I might be frugal but I’m not stingy.

Change the date range, top left.