The Great Resignation 2021-2022

I would love to resign. I loathe and despise my job that I started in August. Unfortunately there’s no labor shortage in higher education. One interview that apparently didn’t pan out is all I’ve had. While I hate my job, I like the salary too. I see salaries for jobs requiring a PhD at $40K and lose even more hope.

I’d consider going back to K-12 if things weren’t even worse there. Sadly, I have no marketable skills outside of education, so I pray for a miracle or the sweet release of death.

It’s certainly going to vary based on the personalities involved.

:(

Was the job they offered different from what you ended up doing? I’ve seen a few articles and posted at least one above that mentions that the offerings people accepted had extra work and responsibilities not mentioned in the initial summary.

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I admit I don’t know anything about your situation, but you might be surprised how the labor shortage might turn your education background/skills into something marketable in weird ways. Instructional design, for example, is something a lot of former educators seem to be moving towards, and from there into other fields entirely.

I wish you the best of luck!

I am very happy with my employer.

Our annual raises were good, and I got a bump up last fall.

Stuff like that keeps me letting those headhunter calls go on ignore.

No, not really. Although they were very noncommittal with what I would be teaching. I’m teaching a course I don’t want to and don’t feel qualified to. They have adjuncts for other courses. I keep asking why they can’t have an adjunct for the course I’m supposed to teach and I’ll teach one of those courses. “Oh, no, that won’t work.” Then, I was supposed to start teaching elementary math methods but the math department and admin won’t let me even though the course is housed in my department not math. Also, I dislike my colleagues. Like a lot. My “mentor” is in the office next door. She has been in my office exactly once…to sell me a raffle ticket for her kid’s team. I’ve had jobs I disliked, but I’ve never actively regretted accepting a job before.

Ironically enough I have a master’s in instructional design and tech. My problem there is multipronged. 1) I don’t think I could really hack an 8-5 job. 2) Intro ID roles don’t pay especially well. They do comparatively for teachers, especially early career teachers, in many school districts, but the pay I’ve found wouldn’t work well for me. (Pay, location, and hours are the things I like about my job.)

I just need to marry money!

Meaning your current job requires substantially less than full time? While being on the job sounds like it sucks, it sounds like you might be getting paid more to work less, in a location you prefer. That doesn’t sound like all downsides.

Would you go back to your old job, if it were hypothetically still available?

Yes, I would go back to either of my last two jobs. I don’t think I’m working less, but I have a little schedule flexibility in higher education (as I also had in previous jobs in the field).

I know a couple of friends of mine that failed to get into a academia, and now have jobs do some sort of data analysis at banks or IBM, and make 6 figure salaries. I assume they have much more flexibility they did starting out.

And I know governments love to higher people with degrees. If you are us based, USAJobs.gov is always worth a shot. Pay might not seem high, but you save a ton of money on Benefits.

I’d invite you both to the Lazy Man’s Club but you are both probably too lazy to fill out the form. Not sure how I managed the task.

I have seen nothing to move me off my take that late stage capitalism is dehumanizing and unsustainable for 95 percent of people, and we’re only beginning to reckon with a shitstorm that’s been brewing since the industrial revolution.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-03/great-resignation-isn-t-slowing-and-may-persist-randstad-says

Like it or not, you need to work for a living. That’s just the way it is. And, like it or not, you specifically need to work a job that leaves you underpaid, devalued, taken advantage of, annoyed, harassed, and empty inside. That’s just the way it is—due to specific policy choices that I lobbied for and got.

That’s all very clever, but the question remains how those people are going to pay their rent when their savings run out.

With the new job they got. Simple.

Like I’ve posted some numbers before, but the takeaway is that basically the only people actually leaving the workforce are 60+. Its mostly people leaving shitty jobs and getting less shitty jobs.

There are now more people working full time than pre pandemic.

Actually true

But employment % is a smidge off

I do try and be precise with my wording when possible :)

I am aware of the marginally lower workforce participation rate, but as that is largely driven by older workers leaving the workforce early its not something I’m too fussed over.

I wonder if the relative size of the Boomer cohort vs younger groups has any effect there, but don’t feel like applying brain juice to the math to wonder if that makes sense or not, statistically.

Oh, I was just putting the data here, is all. Can’t complain about how much and how easy US data is to find.