The Great Twitter Hack of 2020

Seriously, this deserves its own thread. This is HUGE.
Somehow, hackers got control of a bunch of major Twitter accounts, accounts that you know how operational-level security behind them. Like Apple, Bill Gates, Bezos, Musk, Obama, and Biden.

They are using verified accounts to spread the scam. But it must mean that any account can be compromised, surely? Good thing I hardly ever post anything? Yay?

It’s not immediately known how the account hacks took place. Security researchers, however, found that the attackers had fully taken over the victims’ accounts, and also changed the email address associated with the account to make it harder for the real user to regain access.

Has to either be a vulnerability in Twitter itself or compromise of Twitter staff accounts. These are individual account compromises, it’s too wide spread. Also have to wonder how long they’ve had it and if they’ve been able to get at the DMs.

Twitter has also been locking tweeting from verified accounts.

Huh, interesting. Certainly an odd use of that access. Given the breadth it does seem rather more likely they compromised the Twitter system itself, not the individual accounts.

Did they get Donnie too? One hopes they would have

Doesn’t seem that odd. What exactly would they do with that access that would get them more benefit than just getting a bunch of gullible people to send them a lot of money? Especially given that it would be discovered pretty quickly regardless. Obviously there are far more fun things one could do with it, but that’s not something your average criminal is gonna care about.

Yep, this is clearly the best way to monetize that hack. Quite impressive, really.

Once again showing the only real use case for blockchain.

I wonder if it will drive Trump mad if he can’t tweet? It may be so tied to his bathroom habits he will get terminal constipation if he can’t tweet.

Thats not really possible. He’s always mad.

I find it suspicious that Democratic politicians’ accounts were hacked, but not Republican politicians. The odds of that being just a coincidence are very high.

I will not be surprised if it turns out that theft was not the only or even the central motivation here.

Sounds like it was primarily for the lulz then. Makes more sense that way. $100k into an extremely public wallet seems like a very unambitious haul given what they had access to.