The Great Youtube Demonetization Apocalypse

Clearly we need to arm more teachers.

My first thought was that it was a militant vegan/atheists who had his channel shut down or demonitized. The YouTube began community is full of crazy people - see Exhibit A.

Imagine you’re a kook, 20 years ago. Your yolk is split, you have a skewed view of the world. You don’t quite fit in. You can’t make ends meet, you can’t hold down a job.

Now you’re a kook in 2016. You’re still several sprinkles short of a cupcake, but now you have the ability to publish your various and sundry manifestos and ramblings on the internet. You have your own (YouTube) TV channel, starring the one and only you! You speak at length about vegan baking, and why you only exercise the left half of your body because your Chi was lopsided and now you can crack walnuts in your left hand and your right leg gets tired going down stairs. And because your potential audience is every human being alive, like souls in the ether crying out for familial shoulders find you. Your YouTube channel is popular. You make money, and get to buy better quality sweatpants. Maybe you even buy fresh green tea rather than picking through the garbage at The Golden Wok and reboiling their dregs. You’re making a living at this. You aren’t such an outsider after all!

And then, late 2017, YouTube stops paying you. You still have adulations from your audience, but you can’t pay your rent. You can’t afford organic vegetables, and can’t afford to juice the supermaket vegetables because you need that fiber to live. What sort of life is this, sans juice? How dare they degrade you in this manner? You’re a shining superstar! You will have your comeuppance!

That’s basically how I figure it went down.

If Jake or Logan Paul shot up the Youtube HQ, Google would probably give them an exclusive Youtube Red show with a lucrative contract.

2018 is pretty entertaining so far

Youtube sucks.

Youtube used to suck a lot when it started and Google bought it. Then nothing got fixed and it grown.
Each day, youtube finds ways to suck even more.

The bugs accumulate and make it unbearable for content creators.

The “Know Your Customer” policy puts MCNs in a tricky position, according to Urgo, who said that it pushes companies to drop a large number of creators in order to continue working with YouTube.

“[It] in effect forces MCNs to either watch every video uploaded by their partners, or at least be reasonably confident none of the videos they are uploading could possibly either in the present or in the future violate or even come close to violating a YouTube guideline/terms,” Urgo said. “The way this is enforced is that if a network has more then 50 ‘abuse events’ (an abuse event is when a channel gets terminated or loses their monetization privileges) in a 90 day period they lose the ability to partner any other channel for a period of time.

“If this 50 in 90 rule is triggered multiple times, the MCN can be revoked.”

Aaaaawwww, poor babies.

No sympathy from me. None.

Imagine if the App Store decided to delay the approval of app for months. The life of the people creating these apps would have a huge problem.

People that manage youtube: What the hell are you guys doing?

Partnerships is a special tier of YT creators that quality for special privileges on the platform (and revenue share), not for general monetization.

Completely different scenarios than getting an app published.

So, I got a content strike for my Conan Exiles video from a year ago. This has disabled my ability to stream to YouTube for 3 months. I cannot live stream to YouTube, because of some boobs in a Conan video that has been up for over a year.

I feel your pain. That happened to me a few years ago for an old X-Wing vs. TIE FIGHTER vid. I never use music in my videos since then.

You should totally appeal it. I did and the strike lasted one month rather than three.

Yeah 3 months seems a little extreme.

Is YouTube that essential to your work? Would Twitch or Mixer or anything else be a valid option? Or does YT just own the critical mass of eyeballs? I don’t like seeing people sink time and effort into things only to have YT screw them around, but they act like people have no other option but to sink all of their future hopes into them, too.

You should have worn a shirt while Conan-cosplaying during the stream. ;)

Yeah I don’t blame them, the bit with those ice cubes crossed a line.

Not any more, I just upload video now. It’s just a bit irritating.

That’s ridiculous. What a mess Youtube is.

I guess this goes here?