The Greatest Showman - Just in time for the circus to close

A musical about PT Barnum starring Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, and Zendaya

Directed by Michael Gracey

(In case you didn’t know, The Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus closed forever earlier this year.)

So I’ve seen this Trailer several times now. My friends really want me to see this. They’re also the group that has never really successfully sold me on why plays and the theater is so much better than a movie, I’ve been a number of performances… but the thing is I kind of want to see this too. I generally dislike musicals, but my moving going friends, a few of whom also avoid musicals, want too see this too.

I don’t know what this says about the trailer, that some anti-musical people want to see it but… this looks really good.

Barnum was enough of a character that he could have easily supported an actual biopic. I’m not sure how I feel about turning this into a musical.

Of course, I also see how appropriate it is to make a Barnum movie as over the top as possible.

Isn’t this the movie version of the Broadway musical from the 1980’s?

Oh, I wasn’t aware. That makes sense.

Well I saw it, and I loved it. I should note I generally do not go to or watch musicals. I enjoyed the modern songs in a period piece. I suspect more than few critics will hate it just because the critic is an easily hate-able character in the movie. Visually this is just stunning too.