The Guitar Hero III "I've actually played it" Thread

At this point I would be happiest if they’d just release the damn GHI songs for GHIII(II clearly having been abandoned). I want my Ziggy Stardust and Iron Man, god damn it, and my Cowboys From Hell.

It’s definitely better than the shit packs they’re releasing now, since even the good stuff is done so poorly I don’t buy it.

But really, Coldplay vs. The Pixies said it all to me.

At this point in terms of copyright, would it be easier for Harmonix to get some of GH1 tracks for RockBand, or Activision to get them for GH3? I would love to play some of GH1 on Rock Band.

I doubt either made any plans for future use of the tracks in whatever contracts were originally made. So it’s probably a draw.

Harmonix was able to get “Message in a Bottle” in Rock Band (having previously been in GH2), so releasing further GH tracks in RB should just be a matter of signing new deals with the artists/labels.

Not to mention More Than A Feeling and the two Judas Priest tracks, but I doubt it was any easier than negotiating any other song. Probably easier than negotiating with an artist that has never been in one of these games, but I doubt it’s easier for Harmonix than Activision. The only case where there’s any real imbalance is the exclusive agreement with Aerosmith. Hopefully that doesn’t become widespread.

This week: DLC featuring Joe Satriani (Surfing with the Alien), Steve Vai and Buckethead. Go Satch!

Okay, so this is probably covered somewhere above in this sprawling thread, but I didn’t really want to go through 27 pages of thread and my Google-fu is failing me…

I just got my GH3 bundle today and I’m having a problem with star power automatically activating as soon as it’s full. I’m not even tilting or jiggling the thing. Is this a known issue? Can I get Activision to replace the guitar?

Take it back to wherever you bought it, your guitar is gimped.

For all the talk about how much better Red Octane is with hardware, they sure manage to ship a lot of glitchy Les Pauls.

With detachable necks that suck!

I told you how to fix that. Takes 0.5" of duct tape and 5 minutes of your time.

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2008/03/24/fixing-a-loose-les-paul-guitar-neck/

Unless you already screwed it up trying some other mod to fix it because they didn’t manage to make a guitar that works in the first place.

Plus the fact that the duct tape fix can stop working. I’m on my second Les Paul with the mod and my green button is starting to short out after only six weeks. I could at least understand the strum bar giving out, but there is no excuse for the buttons to be so unreliable. As a result, I’ve gone back to the Xplorer and having to deal with delayed Star Power/Overdrive activation and a horrible whammy bar.

These controllers are way too expensive for me for me to be burning through them like this. I’m praying that the Mad Catz RB peripherals are higher quality (hah!), because this is getting fucking ridiculous.

and my green button is starting to short out after only six weeks

Have you tried lubricating the pin connection points? Dielectric grease is about $2…

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2008/03/22/greasing-the-removable-guitar-neck-connection/

I finally got around to trying some of the free DLC I’ve accumulated over the last few months for GH3. I think my favorite so far is the Top Gun theme. That was fun to play. I don’t like that movie at all (unlike a lot of my friends), but I have to admit, I love the soundtrack.

How hard would it be to permanently solder the wires together? I don’t really want a detachable neck at all.

sigh

It’s worth a shot.

[goes to the closet for the dielectric grease]

So, after a week, I can say that the dielectric grease seems to work. I haven’t had any problems with the Les Paul since I applied it. I’d go so far to say that I’m cautiously optimistic that it’s finally fixed, but we’ll see if this is a mod to stand the test of time.

And it’s still nuts that we have to do all of this tinkering to get a $70 controller to work the way it’s supposed to.

Hey – glad to hear it worked!!

Yeah, thanks for the tip!

Arg, this game is driving me crazy. You know what song I’m stuck trying to 5-star? Barracuda. I’ve 5-starred songs much higher up in the tiers than this one, but for some reason I can’t get better than 4. It’s those long series of notes one after the other. I actually have trouble with those in other songs, too. I just can’t get the timing right to maintain a 4x multiplyer streak.