The Handmaid's tale - Hulu's too believable dystopia

I cannot wait. Last season was so damned good.

Yep I’m excited too.

Problem is that my mother in law (lovely lady :) ) is in town and since she doesn’t speak English I might have to watch this dubbed :X

The show is so much darker than the book. I think because it fleshes out all the details.

And of course the book ends so oddly, and abruptly, with vague references to future academic conferences looking back on this time as a cultural oddity.

This show is playing with emotions. My wife said after last night’s episode “I don’t know if I can keep watching this.” And yet, it is so good!

This show is fantastic, but I’m beginning to dread watching it. It’s so relentlessly dark.

The scenes inside The Boston Globe were horrifying and plausible, like everything else they have shown us.

My girlfriend and I have both had that feeling too. I’ve not read the books. So the dread of knowing we were early in the season and that there is NO WAY they could keep as much story going if she were to escape, the dread crept up knowing she was probably going to get caught.

She’s the crucial point of view character So it just wouldn’t make narrative sense for her to escape to Canada (yet or maybe at all?).

The show is far beyond the book now, so in theory they could do that later, but the story would have to fundamentally shift for that to work. Say jumping forward 10 years and changing point of view to her daughter.

Diego

I hear ya. I had also thought maybe they would let her go to Canada, but guilt over her daughter would bring her back.

While she was at the Globe, I even floated the idea in my head they were going to let her start printing a resistance newsletter or something. All those lingering shots on the printing presses seemed … excessive?

This show is amazing, but so brutal. How long can it go on? Can we really endure six or eight seasons of this?

I mean some characters need to get what’s coming to them or else I don’t think I can keep watching. There is an emotional debt that must be repaid at some point.

It will be interesting to see how closely the writers stick to the book’s framing. On one hand, good guys DON’T always win and the unfair and endless brutality of the regime is kinda the point. On the other hand, we “know” that the book was edited by a scholar writing about Gilead from the perspective of a successful POST Gilead society. So the resistance MUST succeed eventually and the regime MUST fall one day.

Diego

I’ve thought we’ve already had hints of that? Weren’t their conversations by the leaders of either an uprising or issues with fighting, I can’t remember which. And I think a reference from the Canadians of fighting along a border.

If nothing else. even with handmaids, they are not replenishing the population fast enough to protect themselves in the future. At some point, more and more of your citizens will be needed as a percentage just to obtain the resources to survive.

More than anything else, these are stories about the inevitable batshit crazy that would result from a massive drop in fertility. I put this in the same category as Children of Men, really.

Good point and, to me anyway, good comparison.

Enjoying the “literally bathing in blood” aspect of this week’s episode 🧛‍♂️

Well, damn.

Shit just got real, yo.

Depression set in and we’re only half way in? I feel like I want to shoot everyone again. Like, they put her back with the same family?!?

Though I did love just how well she conveyed her haughty attitude post-capture. And the subsequent demoralization. Elizabeth Moss captured me during Mad Men, but she -really- shines in this series.

Just finished episode 6, “First Blood.” We’re still behind but I found it funny that about half way through I had turned to my girlfriend and stated the episode was boring. I think my comment was something like, “we’re right back to how things work with petty in-house drama bullshit, this is boring.”

Then that ending. Holy. Shit.

Things just got real again.

A kind-of blah episode, though I would assume what happened will cause ripples in the future.

Weird question, though. Do we know what would have happened to Serena if the Commander had died? Where does a single woman who can’t have babies fit in Gilead?

I loved the previous episode, with the pen clicking at the end. Delicious! The pen is mightier…

Note the parallels between Fred waking up in a hospital bed, drugged and helpless – and all those times it happened to Offred.