The Handmaid's tale - Hulu's too believable dystopia

Holy shit this episode. I hope y’all are ready.

Two episodes ago, I was genuinely hoping Serena might be redeemed. So much for all that.

Every episode leaves me feeling awful. I hope things lighten up a little soon.

Conversely, we watch it BECAUSE it’s so messed up. Like some strange parallel that skirts so close to where we are now politically, religiously, and in society that it’s like watching a future train wreck, stretched out over two seasons.

I think we’re about to catch up today @wumpus, I’m holding on to my seat.

You were not kidding. And then when I’m destroyed by it, there’s MORE in the episode.

Holy shit, you weren’t kidding. Ep. 10 was the toughest to watch yet. Tough from a number of perspectives, but man that scene. The scene was even shot with what was happening in mind, slowing the scene and removing the volume only added to the shock of it. And it contrasted with the beginning showing Emily and that commander keeling over. Two bookends defining, well, rape.

We’ve invested so much in June. To see her treated this way … wow. And then to end with that hanging scene of her red surrounded by snow in the middle of nowhere without anyone nearby was extremely powerful. It screamed isolation and hopelessness.

The last three episodes have played with color and tone so much that my GF and I both keep trying to predict what is happening in each scene based on how warm or cool the color palette is. This show is beautifully shot and well edited for how it shows things to us.

This cannot be overstated. The cinematography is beautiful. I loved the drone shots as June was traveling to the remote mansion.

I love this show. I just hope the showrunners are going to give us a proper middle and end rather than try to sustain the story too long. I demand closure!

Was this… the first possibly legitimately hopeful episode in the entire series? Also 🐺

I don’t know about hopefull…

Summary

isn’t she just going to get picked up by the security team that pulled up as the episode ended?

Though I was wondering if the narration was a big reveal. Am I right in concluding that she is narrating from a future in which she has escaped?

This season is absolutely incredible. And Elizabeth Moss is just unbelievable. Especially the most recent episode.

It’ll be tough waiting for the final two episodes.

The book this show is based on was assigned reading in my Poly Sci class in the 90s. The only thing I remember is the protagonist staying in some high school gymnasium that was converted into a camp or prison.

My Catholic school teacher made us watch the movie for school. I am pretty sure she did it as a warning and not in a Michael Pence deal. She must have been a pretty cool person.

If you haven’t been watching this series, Hulu it up. It is good. It’s also depressing as all hell.

It’s not good, it’s fantastic.

I’m a little pissed off by all those I can’t watch the Handmaid’s Tale anymore articles, though. feels like they are really missing the point.

Watching the last episode was like watching one of those suspenseful horror movies where you talk to the screen the entire time. She made so many back to back poor decisions that episode that I was just in awe how dumb she could be for being so smart.

Any guesses as to who pulled up in the driveway?

Foreshadowing tells me it isn’t quite who we think it will be.

Do we have a third season confirmed. If we do, it’s probably the eyes or the commander. Maybe even Nick. If we don’t all bets are off.

And I checked and we do have a third season coming…

It’s really interesting how (I think) they are building up Gillead’s failure mode through clever foreshadowing. The black commander having a natural born kid and the handmaid bringing back her daughter from illness might become very importatn plotpoints soon, I think.

But the writers are clever, so who knows?

Didn’t she say something along the lines of, “I’ll make sure you are never born here among these people,” to her unborn baby at one point? That seemed like positive foreshadowing.

What if Nick escaped capture by the other two security guys and has come back for her?

Also the scene in the episode before with the temptation of Serena to leave Gilead. Why show us that? To plant seeds of doubt or to foreshadow something that might happen?

Yes, if there wasn’t another season I would think she will be escaping. Apparently she’s close to the border and as you say Nick might have escaped capture.

But if she escapes Serena and the commander might be done for and it’s hard to see that happening with a third season coming.

My current guess (and it’s a wild one)

the commander dies by Serena or June’s hand, or perhaps both.

The alternative is that she escapes, we get a third season centered in either the search for Hanna (boring, in principle) or the collapse of GIllead and revenge on them (I’m up for that).

But again, I really trust the writers, so I’m up for everything.

I’m halfway through season 2. Goodness they have upped the brutality. Elizabeth Moss is so good.

Agree that Elizabeth Moss is incredible. Her eyes alone have the combined force of like 10 really good actors.