The Haunting of Hill House - Netflix, Shirley Jackson, Mike Flanagan

I don’t really agree with that criticism in general and particularly not here - I think episode 10 is important to resolve the story and it’s largely a very well paced show. I just don’t think its ending is appropriate for what’s been established up to that point.

Oh wow, just found out about this, for some reason I don’t seem to hear about Netflix shows until way after release. But this one looks really up my alley and just the thing I was looking for in October. Have to set aside some time from playing Dead Space again for this.

Better hurry up. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is dropping next week, and that also looks really good and Halloweeny (in a different way).

I just don’t think its ending is appropriate for what’s been established up to that point.

I think you put it best. Not a terrible ending, each character confronts some tortured aspect of their psyche and I liked seeing the kids make it out okay, but the tonal and thematic shift were jarring.

This was really good, just binged it the last two days. It’s classic gothic ghost story combined with a modern dysfunctional family. Great cast too both past and present (early 90s to now). Also some pretty sad heartbreaking scenes. Very good! It starts out VERY strong. First five or six episodes some of the best I’ve seen on any show in awhile.

Have we discussed this yet? (Spoilers!)

All right, watched the first episode and I’m in. I like the cast, I like the mood, I like the bits of story they’re dropping. I haven’t seen the original movie in forever and never read the story. I did, unfortunately see the remake but we’ll say no more about that, shall we? Anyway I’m hoping to catch an episode per night over the next week or so. Watching on my PC since my wife gets the TV, hopefully that won’t diminish the experience (or the scares!)

Shades of Lake Mungo in the Bent Neck Lady! So creepy, that idea of being haunted by the ghost of yourself.

Watched the second episode last night and I’m digging it. I imagine lots of people are watching this and thinking “this isn’t scary” but I like the slow burn that’s going on, getting us used to the characters in both eras, and their relationships. One big thing this show gets about ghost stories is they’re as much about sadness as fear, there’s a mournfulness at its core. I have a good feeling about this one.

And something was bugging me about Henry Thomas that I couldn’t quite put me finger on until the end of the episode - he doesn’t have blue eyes. Guess they’ve got him in contacts to match up with Hutton?

This might have already been mentioned, but there are ghosts hidden in the background of scenes. Even knowin that and specifically scanning the background as I watch, I have still missed a lot of them.

I kind of buried it in spoiler tags above, but yeah, creepy cool, and there’s a theme going on there…

Sorry, maybe I should have spoiler tagged it but it didn’t really seem like a spoilery thing. At least, it is something I am kind of glad I know now versus after I have seen everything because it is fun to try and spot them as I watch.

No need to apologize to anyone, I don’t think. I was just being abundantly – probably stupidly – cautious.

Because the background ghosts is such a cool goddamned idea. I’ve been waiting for someone to do this since 1977.

Just watched the third episode, I’m really liking the way each episode takes a turn looking deeper into the lives of each of the Crain kids, possibly the parents to come? I got the impression at first that Theodora’s “power” was given to her by the ghost or whatever crawled into bed with her in the first scene from the way she kept staring at her hands. But then we find out toward the end that she just has a “sensitivity” that her mother and grandmother also had, and the gloves are a physical bulwark against unwanted impressions. That’s interesting, even though the series takes off quite dramatically from the book, it still has little ties back to the source material.

Something similar, certainly.

So, a few thoughts:

What exactly did Steve see that night?
A few times I thought they called Shirley Cheryl instead. At first I thought it was Shirl for a short version of Shirley, but it feels more like a goof.
What happened to Luke’s glasses?
I never put Abigale and Abby together.

Do Tom and the gang ever review or discuss TV? Curious about their thoughts on this show.

But usually no.

I’m getting behind - watched episode 4 last night, another really interesting deep dive into the life and mind of one of the Crain kids, this time Luke. I must admit, I didn’t think much of Luke’s actor in the bits we saw of him in earlier episodes but I thought he did a great job this time.

I didn’t find his “haunter” all that terrifying though, the tall floating man with the cane seemed like he belonged in Ghostbusters. I did find it interesting that it was always shown with his face and body turned away from Luke, even when pursuing him. I wonder if there’s meaning in that? Guess I’ll find out.

Yes! I mentioned that lackluster spook earlier in the thread but you nailed it with Ghostbusters.

I got through episode 6 but needed multiple evenings to stomach all that florid melodrama and the long-take camera theatrics. At least it ended strong.