The History of Command & Conquer

I think I played like 1,000 hours of Red Alert. It was one of the first RTSs with a skirmish mode against AI.

Fancied giving it a go but it took some futzing around to get Mental Omega to even work. Initially the campaign wouldn’t launch at all, crashing out with a ***FATAL*** String Manager Failed to Initialize Properly error message which I only got around by setting the game to win 7 compatibility and giving it admin permissions. Even then I had issues with the renderer - not entirely surprising given I’m on Win11 with a native 3440x1440 resolution. No readily accessible information on what to choose there but brute forcing my way through the list I did eventually get it working acceptably with the CnC-DDraw renderer.

Once all that was done, oof, all those UI tricks we now take for granted are nowhere to be seen. Not quite as bad as the the last time I tried to play Tiberian Sun, but I always struggle going back to games made before ‘UX designer’ was a profession. I’d ask if there’s a way to get right click actions working here but I can pessimistically guess the answer.