The Hole in the Wall

Check out http://www.greenstar.org/butterflies/Hole-in-the-Wall.htm

This guy is conducting very interesting experiments with “non invasive” education, as he puts it. It’s philosophy is similar to the “unschooling” movement, which is how we homeschool our kids.

Q: Of all the things the children did and learned, what did you find the most surprising?

A: One day there was a document file on the desktop of the computer. It was called “untitled.doc” and it said in big colorful letters, “I Love India.” I couldn’t believe it for the simple reason that there was no keyboard on the computer [only a touch screen]. I asked my main assistant – a young boy, eight years old, the son of a local betel-nut seller – and I asked him, “How on earth did you do this?” He showed me the character map inside [Microsoft] Word. So he had gotten into the character map inside Word, and dragged and dropped the letters onto the screen, then increased the point size and painted the letters. I was stunned because I didn’t know that the character map existed – and I have a PhD.

Stunned!

Q: I was stunned because I didn’t know that the character map existed – and I have a PhD.

What does having a PhD have to do with knowing of the existence and usage of a character map in Microsoft Word?

Or did he mean he has a PhD in a field that relates directly to Microsoft Word?

I’m so very confused. Help me out here, people.

It’s just a dumbass thing to say.

I am making fun, but only because I enjoy making fun of Indian people and their crazy accents. It’s a decent article.