The Horror! Last movie/etc to actually scare you

I can’t think of a movie that scared me in a long time. When I was an RA in college, I was doing my rounds, and one of the residents were having a viewing party where they had rented the VHS tape for Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I only saw the first few minutes, where you don’t actually see anyone, but there’s just empty scenes and unsettling music, and that really freaked me out. I never saw the rest of the movie, so I don’t know if the movie actually has any people in it, but just that opening was really scary, and I think that’s the last time a movie scared me.

Oh look, the internet has the opening message.

Here is the “music” in that opening.

Those two things combined with the name of the movie just created this unforgettable dread.

That’s how I felt about it… but it’s quite a valid point that @Ginger_Yellow makes, about how some people react to mounting dread. The one thing I think we can all agree on is that Lake Mungo is awesome.

Sure, I don’t tell people how to enjoy their things. Hell, I’m probably a crazy person anyway - one of my favorite movies for giving me an almost unbearable feeling of existential dread is The Prestige, and that’s not even a horror movie!

Lake Mungo did not do much for me. But the two movie genres that are the most utterly dependent on personal taste are horror and comedy.

Yep, that tent scene is amazing.

Yeah, same for me too.

That scene burnt itself into mine and my girlfriend’s head for so long as well.

Oh, that’s a really interesting observation.

Nothing has ever scared me personally as effectively as The Descent, but honorable mentions to Paranormal Activity and The Conjuring movies.

A few mentioned here I’ve not seen, so I’ll have to track those down.

The Descent is probably the most palm-sweating, almost physically unbearable movie I’ve seen, but I wouldn’t call it scary in the traditional sense. Lake Mungo, on the other hand, I found to be an excellent scary movie. I should probably clarify that I find most ghost movies scary, but cgi monsters (or dudes in suits) are just silly.

Willow Creek was weird-- I love “alone in the wilderness” movies and hand-held trash so it had everything to make for a delicious guilty pleasure, but ultimately fell flat for me. I can see how the tent scene was set up to be scary, but as the minutes mounted up it was kinda undermined by my growing astonishment at Goldwaith’s gall.

See, I don’t think “scary in the traditional sense” is that scary to me, lol. The claustrophobia and naturally pitfalls they run into in The Descent – before we even get to monsters – just worked so well for me as a setting. The darkness, and the trapped feeling – it just all worked for me. I’ve rewatched it several times and I just love it.

I haven’t watched Lake Mungo, but will definitely check it out.

The Descent is one of my favorites… Since one of my particular bugaboos is claustrophobia I watch that one through squinted eyes and gritted teeth but I love it.

My bizarro pick is…Resolution and/or Banshee Chapter…I watched them within the same time span.

Timeless is Session 9.

“Hello Simon”

Banshee Chapter was great with some really scary moments. I love that kind of ‘inscrutable’ horror where you just don’t understand the nature of it. Absentia was another.

Not heard of Resolution. Will check it out.

Oh forgot about that one. Cool fact, except for the initial drop into the cave everything was shot on built sets.

Also do not watch the Descent 2…wow what garbage.