The Imagination Network (INN) Revival

Someone needs to revive Mplayer or Heat.net

The original AvP on MPlayer is still some of the most fun I can remember having in an online multiplayer game.

'Course, some of that may be rose-tinted goggles.

Man, that brings back some memories. I used to play a lot of Shadows of Yserbius back in the day. Anyone remember the Strip Poker in Larryland? :P

“Suppose you’re thinkin’ about a plate o’ shrimp. Suddenly someone’ll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o’ shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin’ for one, either. It’s all part of a cosmic unconciousness.”

Sorry. I promise to abstain from drive-by movie quotes for a while.

I wracked up a $600 ph bill playing red baron, then by a miracle, the next month they had a local ph number in my area.

Zep-- (or ZepKG as known in Red Baron back then)

I found a complete boxed copy of Shadows of Yserbius (plus Fates of Twinion) a while back for a dollar in Half-Price Books’ clearance section. Keep meaning to try it out, and I guess now I can do so online. :p

My brother and I played Red Baron on TSN for about 3 weeks straight. We got shot down about 4 times in over 40 hours of playing. We thought we were amazing.

It turns out it was the lag. We were apparently warping all over the place, but we rarely saw any of our opponent’s planes warp. Online gaming was so new then, that when people would complain about us “warping”, we thought they meant we were beating their asses at warp speed.

No idea why we had it so bad, as we were using a 2400 baud modem (or maybe it was 9600 at the time?)… and we were right next to the diali-in number in San Francisco.

I loved INN. Maybe next they can bring back Qlink.