The insects, arachnids and myriapods pictures thread

Okay, I laughed out loud at ‘NSFW’ when I revealed that image. And I was at work so I suppose it wasn’t suitable!

Well close the bedroom door and queue up the Barry White!!

Heh, reminds me of these beetles I saw at the Pondicherry Botanical Gardens

Arise, it’s spring!

I went for a quick trip to Kyoto, and caught this Syrphid having a banquet on a cherry blossom. How appropriate!

The tree was odd: obviously an old tree that suffered some cataclysmic accident, having only small branches left over a huge trunk. For some reason, it was displaying leaves while blossoming, and brown leaves at that. I wish I could show a picture of it but my camera is critically failing and corrupting a good half of my takes. Time to get a new one, I am guessing.

My life is once again complete. Please start filling up this thread again, bug-people!

Those hoverflies always freak me out so bad at first. I’m like, RUN! or KILL! Then I settle down for a second and say wait… that’s not the exact same morphology as a wasp maybe it’s a hoverfly. Then I’m really glad I didn’t try to kill it as it’s one of the “good guys”.

Those eyes are so wild. They like wrap around from the back to the face of the head.

In some ironic twist, wasps are very easy to distinguish in the Kansai region of Japan: either they have very characteristic oversized lower legs… and the rest are the size of little birds.
Some flies love to poke you too, though.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww!

Orb weaver spider, Imperial Palace gardens, Tokyo

EDF! EDF!

Last year my girlfriend told me that while she was sat in the living room reading, a wasp flew out from somewhere. She suspected the coving because it came from that corner of the room and we have a gap to let some heating pipes come in. A moment later, it happened again but this time she was certain it came out of the coving. Very bizarre. A year passes and we don’t think about it.

Last week, another wasp appeared in the house originating from the living room and we promptly let out. A short time later while my girlfriend was sat in there again she notices another wasp fly from the coving across the room, dozily hit the wall and fall to the ground. Earlier on I’d been outside in the garden and noticed a really big lethargic wasp, it was so big I suspected it was a queen. We caught the fourth coving wasp and took a lot of photos to try and identify it. My girlfriend sent me this pic:

Apparently we have a coving hotel that queen German wasps like to stay in. We’ve had wasps nests in our garden and our attic so… this would explain a lot. I remember when we were renovating our house that we kept getting a lot of bees inside too, even when doors and windows were closed. We’ve an odd house.

We’ve had a lot of cold whether recently in the UK but last week was the first time it was warm so that’s what brought the queens out of hibernation. They’re fertilised so they’re looking for somewhere to start their nest. What’s weird is if they’re in our coving near some central heating pipes hibernating… how do they know when it’s time to come out?

Here’s a quick montage from my LG G3:

A wasp and you didn’t just kill it?

Kill the wasp man!

I killed one outside and felt bad so the next one (pictured above) I released. Realising later that it was fertilised, primed and ready to nest and create many, many more… I doubted my actions.

Well clearly the only rational response you have left is burn the house down, and salt the earth. Natures little hate machines must be destroyed.

How did I miss this beautiful spider pic a month ago?? Spectacular!

They are all extremely exotic to me, krok!

What happens when you touch the fuzzy white caterpillar??

HOLY SHIT

Lovely photos, but whoa, that story.

Speaking of caterpillars you shouldn’t touch. In the grand scheme of UK wildlife, this is pretty exciting. There’s almost nothing common that is actively venomous, so even a mildly toxic caterpillar is pretty exotic.

Never seen a moth like this in UK, let alone chilling in the sun in a car park:

I generally don’t like moths because they just bump into everything leaving dusty deposits everywhere but this one’s pretty!

Impressive for an unedited snap using my girlfriend’s Axon 7 Mini too.