The insects, arachnids and myriapods pictures thread

And this is my Nice Moth Picture.

Whoa that is cool.

Was doing some housekeeping and found this photo from a few years back of a bumble bee caked in pollen!

I don’t have many more arthropod photos, but I was reminded of an old one - this is a hawkmoth in my back yard a few years ago. Not much of a photo, taken with my phone of the time. Cool moth - they behave like hummingbirds.

And a new photo of (I think) a cerambicid on our black granite countertop. Hopefully not some sort of horrible invasive tree-killer, because I took it outside and released it…

My girlfriend’s parents legit thought they were hummingbirds when they were abroad somewhere in the Med.

I had no idea what the heck was flying around me the first time I came accross one near the highway trespassing in the centre of the town I used to live till last year. They actually were super active at that spot, for only a single month, each year.

My entomologist friend tells me the longhorn beetle is likely an oak borer, genus Enaphalodes. Native and not a pest, so I’m glad I released it outside.

No picture, but just witnessed a couple of Suzumebachi circling quite quickily, above my head, while I was outside. They were probably the giant type, as their legs were dark.
It’s the first time I witness any interaction between them. I was wondering if they may have been from different nests.
Looking up online about the behaviour of the big Vespinae just taught me that humans are very prone to studying sadistic creative ways to kill them, while showing zero will to try to understand their comportment. Anybody can provide any lights?

Because wasps are evil little bastards. Very aggressive, and even potentially deadly.

Death to wasps!

Every two or three years I’ll see one hummingbird moth in Colorado during the early summer season (I think they like my lilacs). Extraordinary things.

Also, a good excuse to post this TMBG song about how f-ed up nature is:

The little pill bug just kept walking, eventually ramming into the dragonfly, who kind of hopped off, and was like, “WTF dude?”

Pill bug was just, “I’m walking here!”

I love it! Was the dragonfly drinking? What a great pic.

Nah, i think it’s just a little fleck of concrete or something.

I love this so much. How big is this guy? Can we get more pics of him, if he’s still around?

My aunt is a budding pro photographer whose work has appeared in NatGeo. She just facebooked this

Ooo, look at that! Beautiful white and red. Great pic.

I saw this earlier on Twitter and… spiders, man. SPIDERS.

That spiders thing is super cool.
Also this.

I think we’ve got two wasp nests in our house, one in the loft and one in the cavity wall. I suppose the queen wasps hibernating in our coving didn’t go far…

By covering up or adding stripes to the live spiders, then observing interactions between them, Taylor and her students get clues to coloration’s influence. That requires putting makeup on a tiny spider, which is where doctoral student Ellen Humbel comes in. Humbel uses “really nice, non-toxic liquid eyeliner” to cover their stripes, then watches what happens: Will the females be more likely to eat a stripe-less male? If so, what can that tell us about what attracts and repels spiders and other insects?